mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chainlines & cranksets.

I have been running an 8 speed drivetrain on my 02' Enduro for the past two years w/o any problems. The other day I found my drive side pedal loose and turned out the crank arm threads were toast. Well I had Truvativ 5D square tapers and figured a set of Deore 510's would suffice. I installed them but right away I noticed my chainline is now @ 52mm , had about 49mm before. Are the Deore's not to be used w/ a 113 BB ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    when you bought the new bb did you make it was the same length as the last one?

Sounds like you used a 113 in any case, but the sheldonbrown.com bb data base indicates a deore 510 used either a 110 or 113, whereas only the 113 is listed for the truvativ...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Sounds like you used a 113 in any case, but the sheldonbrown.com bb data base indicates a deore 510 used either a 110 or 113, whereas only the 113 is listed for the truvativ...
    Thanx. Do you have a link to the BB data for different cranksets ? I am not going to use the Deore's and need to find a set compatible w/ my 113 BB.

mtbr member

So, you need to buy something...

and you choose to buy a new crankset ($$$?) to work with your existing 113mm BB spindle, rather than buy a new $25 110mm UN-73 to work with a crankset that you already have? Seems like you're going to spend a lot more money than you need to to make this work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    and you choose to buy a new crankset ($$$?) to work with your existing 113mm BB spindle, rather than buy a new $25 110mm UN-73 to work with a crankset that you already have? Seems like you're going to spend a lot more money than you need to to make this work.
    Well to be honest my the Truvativ 5D's and the Deore's are entry level sets @ best. I am having a hard time figuring out which kind of set ( good set) i'd like to run long term. ISIS = durability issues ?, outboard = set-up / durability? Square taper i'll run for the moment. I don't want to buy a new BB for a set of iffy cranks.

mtbr member

My limited experience...

I've never had a problem with square taper, but higher end cranks are getting harder and harder to find in the square taper format. I had good luck with Shimano Octalink V1 and V2. Still running M952 XTR arms on my SS, Cross-check, and my girlfriend's SS. My GF's new Orbea road bike has an FSA crankset that runs an ISIS BB, but it's brand new so I don't have any complaints about durability yet. She's also tiny so it might never be a problem on a road bike ridden by a 110 pounder. I have a Hollowtech II (external bearing) XT on my geary and setup is really easy (although my bike didn't use any of the spacers), don't know about durability yet. Q factor is definitely wider and chainline is relatively fixed, but would definitely recommend them...great cranks for the money.

Nate