mtbr member

Chainline difference in a 2x crankset vs a 3x crankset?

I have searched and can't really find the answers I am looking for.

I have some wicked chain suck on my 09 Niner RIP9. I am thinking about going to a 2x9 set up instead of the current 3x9 (one year old XT). I hear a lot of talk about people dropping the big ring and running just the two smaller rings. The problem for me is 22/32 is way too short. I think I want 24(6)/36(9). The other problem on the 3x converted to the 2x is that the inner ring is way too inboard to use all the gears in the back, right? Crosschain city.

Are the cranksets that are sold as 2x adjusted (like a road bike) so that you can use the entire rear cog in either front ring?

Anybody have any tips on a good 2x crankset that will easily fit into my current 3x9 XT set?

Thanks-
    Scott

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    I have searched and can't really find the answers I am looking for.

I have some wicked chain suck on my 09 Niner RIP9. I am thinking about going to a 2x9 set up instead of the current 3x9 (one year old XT). I hear a lot of talk about people dropping the big ring and running just the two smaller rings. The problem for me is 22/32 is way too short. I think I want 24(6)/36(9). The other problem on the 3x converted to the 2x is that the inner ring is way too inboard to use all the gears in the back, right? Crosschain city.

Are the cranksets that are sold as 2x adjusted (like a road bike) so that you can use the entire rear cog in either front ring?

Anybody have any tips on a good 2x crankset that will easily fit into my current 3x9 XT set?

Thanks-
    Scott
    I use 2x9 (32/24 x 11-32) with the chainline moved even further inboard than current triples without the big ring. I can use all the cogs with the 32 and all but the 11 with the 24 (the 24 x 11 & 12 are near dupe ratios).

Most mtb 39/26 doubles move the rings slightly inboard (relative to a triple's 2 outer rings) so have a slightly narrower chainline than a triple.

Do check the Niner tech info on which fit your frame.

I would check all the usual chainsuck causes first, though (LOTS of threads here).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common