jimfab

chainline adjustment question

Hello to all.

I have a set of hone cranks on a 29er HT 73mm BB shell. despite having the shim on the drive side i get a little front derailleur rub on the rear tire in the 22T. I have done everything i can think of to adjust the derailleur but the problem keeps on. My question is.... how far can i shim out that side of the crank to change the chain-line? I think one shim will get it, but will this cause me other problems? Or do i just need a different crank set for this bike? I have a few 29ERS, most of them if you look from he top, the 22 ring is about on the middle of the external bearing, where the hone is even with the end of the BB shell, even with one shim.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes it can be done....

The only thing that it will do is move your nondirve side crank arm closer to that side of the frame. You'll need to check your crank arm/chainstay clearance on the non drive side before you ride. If the nondrive crank arm clears the chain stay with the additional shim on the drive side then you are good to go. This will also result in a slight offset in relation to the centerline of the frame and thus your seated position. Usually 2.5mm one way or the other isn't enough to affect your riding comfort. Though there are some people that will notice it, and some that it will cause problems for. All you can do is give it a try. It won't hurt anything.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0