Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

chainguide to fit my Rockhopper, please help!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  twilk 
#1 ·
Hi,

I run a single 38t middleburn chainring on my 2000 Rockhopper with a DMR chaincage to keep the chain on.

I no longer have faith in the chaincage so went to the bikeshop to see about buying something more serious to keep the chain on but apparently the bottom bracket on a 2000 rockhopper isn't designed to take a tensioner/system that attaches to it (cup thread not long enough???).

I was wondering if there was anything i could do to work around this, or if the guy in the shop could be wrong? If anyones had a similar problem or could offer some advice i'd be really grateful!

Would two bashrings either side of the chainring stop it coming off?

Sorry about the long post!

Cheers

#2 ·
what made you lose faith in your current chainguide? Is it no longer working properly?

There are a bunch of newer products similar to what you have that many people are running with great success on XC and AM bikes. You really shouldn't need a BB mounted pulley chainguide unless you are doing heavy duty AM or DH riding

A bashguard sandwich does work, but most XC hardtail frames won't be able to fit an inner ring large enough to even cover a 32t chainring, never mind a 38t ring

#3 ·
boomn said:
what made you lose faith in your current chainguide? Is it no longer working properly?

There are a bunch of newer products similar to what you have that many people are running with great success on XC and AM bikes. You really shouldn't need a BB mounted pulley chainguide unless you are doing heavy duty AM or DH riding

A bashguard sandwich does work, but most XC hardtail frames won't be able to fit an inner ring large enough to even cover a 32t chainring, never mind a 38t ring
Thanks for the reply!

Yea iv lost the cain over some rough a few times and had enouugh of it, i want something where il never have to worry about it again! I cut down the spacers on the cage a bit and now i get more rub but its more secure.

I had a look and your probably right about it not fitting on the inside, there is a small gap so im going to take some measurements and see if i can squeeze one on.

Im off to Afan forest for the weekend so il see how it holds up there, if it pisses me off then im going to have to change something!

Thanks for the input:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.