Thread: Chain upgrade?

Expert Crasher

Chain upgrade?

I recently thrashed my OEM front wheel - so the replacement OEM wheelset will get a set of Specialized 26x1.95 road tires for on-road rides when the trails are wet and I'm adding a more burly set of Mavic XM321s for trail rides.

To maintain quick swaps between the wheelsets, I bought a new SRAM PG990 11-32T cassette for the new wheelset and ordered a SRAM PC991 chain as well. OEM cassette is a SRAM PG950 and OEM chain is a KMC Z9000 (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Sp+Chain.aspx). The OEM cassette and chain have roughly 195 miles on them so they aren't real worn yet and I clean it after each ride so it's in good condition and the SRAM X9 rear D shifts like a dream.

My question is regarding the chain - I intend to ride off-road as much as possible so the PG990 and PC991 will get the most 'together' time, but was wondering what frequent rear cassette changes will do to the chain? Is it adviseable to just leave the Z9000 chain on until it wears out and then install the PC991? I have read many times on here to replace the chain and cassette at the same time.

Thanks.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I started out down a path like that, worked okay for a while.

But I wore out chains and cassettes etc, so now I have 4 worn cassetes and about eight chains.

If it don't work I just fix it.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    The cassete will wear along with the chain. So when you put on the new 991 it will be on a cassette that's has been mating with the other chain. Start off with the new components and allow them to wear and mate evenly. Other wise it would be like changing brake pads that have gouged a rotor with out chaning the rotors as well....refering to a car.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!