the giant.

chain too tight or too loose?

i got a new crankset in the other day, and my chainstay length is a hair off for my gear ratio. it doesnt work well with a full length chain. i found a halflink sitting around in my parts bin, and put that on. but its still a hair to tight. i can feel the chain clunking on and off the teeth...the derailleur hanger i have now isnt derailleur/tensioner compatable, so if i want to run a tensioner i need a new hanger...

the chain is lightly used. so should i just ride it and wait for it to stretch (i ride daily, so it wont be long for that to happen. especially with a halflink), or spend the money, and get a tensioner? my shop has a dmr tensioner that would be perfect (not sure what they are asking for $$) but how much should i expect for the cost of a derailleur hanger?

EDIT: i solved my problem. i went out, just on a curious thought, and i was thinking that maybe since they were new cranks (bmx ones. i came from raceface), the chainline might be different. and of course, it was. i switched a spacer and the chainline was dead on. i put the chain back on. no problems. there is no more rough pedaling or anything. it was all the chainline. it gave it that tiny bit of looseness that it needed.
    Last edited by gbosbiker; 03-13-2010 at 10:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gbosbiker
    ...but how much should i expect for the cost of a derailleur hanger?
    http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...=dmr+tensioner

the giant.
    that hives the price of the dmr tensioners... i think they have the conversion kit at the shop. i dont know if they would sell me the tensioner itself..and does ~$20 sound right for a derailleur hanger?

the giant.
    i do have an alfine tensior laying around, but i want something lower profile. i ran that before..liked it. i might just get a derailleur hanger and put on the alfine...but the alfine has very limited chainline options...