mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chain throwing off of chainrings

Brand new Stumpy FS - less than 6 weeks old. My chain keeps throwing in front. If I torque the bike (climbing in the middle ring etc.) and hit any kind of bump, the chain throws down the the granny. Likewise if I am in the big ring, it will throw down to the middle. It doesn't happen all the time but high torque and a few bumps it will. Chain, rings, cassette all look pretty new. There is no slack in the chain (when I put it in the big ring in front and granny in back) so I can't shorten the chain unless I want to limit my gear options.

Any thoughts of what might be going on here? XT crank and Sram drivetrain.

Thanks

Dave

Brant-C.
    just something i've read in the last month, but since you have a fs the chain will slack when you compress the suspension...

what rear der. do you have? long cage, med or short?

just giving ideas on troubleshooting.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillet999
    Brand new Stumpy FS - less than 6 weeks old. My chain keeps throwing in front. If I torque the bike (climbing in the middle ring etc.) and hit any kind of bump, the chain throws down the the granny. Likewise if I am in the big ring, it will throw down to the middle. It doesn't happen all the time but high torque and a few bumps it will. Chain, rings, cassette all look pretty new. There is no slack in the chain (when I put it in the big ring in front and granny in back) so I can't shorten the chain unless I want to limit my gear options.

Any thoughts of what might be going on here? XT crank and Sram drivetrain.

Thanks

Dave
    I believe Shimano had some defective XT rings out there, that might be the problem.

Which front rings does it occur in?