Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain Tension/SRAM X.9..help!

686 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ThrashNY 
#1 ·
I'm trying to do the simple task of installing a chain on my wife's new bike. Here's my problem:

I have super tension on the big rings together (rear & fr.), but WAAAY too much slack on smaller cogs...I am stumped as hell. I thought about removing more links but that disallows the 'no man' gearing to engage (the Bigs).

She has a SRAM x.9 rear der. which I've never had on my many bikes. Is this a factor?

Any help is needed...

#2 ·
Short or Long cage derailleur?

The derailleur will have some maximum capacity that it can handle, as in maximum difference in number of engaged teeth combined between cogs and rings.

A long-cage rear-d *should* be able to satisfactorily handle a 34x11 cogset with a 22/32/44 ringset - but I would not necessarily take this to mean that there would be no slack when on the 22 ring for all rear cogs (the lower 1/3 - or more - could be construed as cross-gearing and would be better handled with the middle ring on a larger rear cog anyway).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.