I am the big German!

Chain Suck: Truvative Stylo

I have a new bike, hence new drive train. Truvativ stylo cranks, xt rear (Jamis Dakota XC). When in dry conditions everything works perfectly. However, when its been wet I get chain suck even when I'm not shifting and even when the chain is not under load. The chain will be on the middle ring and jump out towards the big ring, and get sucked up to the chainstay between big and middle ring.

I live in florida so I haven't had any reason to ride in the granny and not much cause to ride in the big ring, so I'm not sure if I could duplicate the situation in those rings.

Any ideas on what to look for or cures? Bent tooth, burr on a ring, frame alignment , rear deraileur hanger ? Any fix advice/ideas greatly appreciate.

Dan

mtbr member
    Scrape the gunk of the sides of the chainrings, then look for any burrs, etc.
    Make sure that your front der. is adjust and is not getting in the way and then try bending the chain to see if you have any stiff links, if you do you just lube.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by dkline
    Any ideas on what to look for or cures? Bent tooth, burr on a ring, frame alignment , rear deraileur hanger ? Any fix advice/ideas greatly appreciate.

Dan
    Make sure you are using a chainlube that will hold up in wet conditions when you are riding in wet conditions. The only time I get chainsuck is when I try to use White Lightning and end up in the mud.

If it's a new bike, I doubt it is chain /cog wear

willtsmith_nwi

Chainsuck and lube ...

Poor lubrication only makes chainsuck worse. It does not CAUSE it. Even stiff links will not cause chainsuck on a new ring.

If you have chainsuck, your rings are probably work and have developed the "shark tooth" pattern. This makes chain disengagement difficult as they will "hook" the chain and drag it back up toward the front derailleur.

Bad news ... If you have ridden in those sloppy conditions for years on the same chain ... your options are limited. You will have to replace your chainrings, the chain and the rear cassette. As the chain wears, the pitch increases and wears this pattern into the rings and cogs. If you put a new chain onto such a system, it will skip as the gaps in the chain will not match the gaps into the worn drivetrain.

The "stop-gap" solution is to take a file, griding wheel or dremel tool and file the hooks off the teeth on the chain-ring. This will hold you over for a while. But realize that you need to save to replace these components ASAP. Make sure to buy an extra chain and a chain checker so this problem does not befall you again. And make sure to get STEEL middle rings as aluminum rings wear like crazy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I never had suck like this before!

I now have two bikes with Truativ. The suck between the middle and largfe ring. Both! I have never had that kind of suck before. Chain suck is usually involved with the frame.

The chain just should not have room to fall in between chainrings. At all!

The middle chain ring seems to bend easily.

Again these are the only two bikes that have done it and they are the only ones with Truativ.

My question...Cheap fix???