mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Chain Suck Problem, ideas???

I am currently running a set of Race Face Deus XC cranks and rings on my Hardtail. I have a Sram Chain and a Sram Cassette.

I am getting chain suck when dropping into the granny gear and I can not seem to stop it!

I am beginning to think there might be a compatibility problem...any help would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Try turning your granny gear around (flip it over) and see if the chain suck goes away or seems to be less. Then you will know it is your granny gear (worn). Then replace your granny gear if it seems to be the culprit.
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Have you made any component changes recently. Is this a new bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No changes...it has been an issue since I built the bike a year or so ago. All parts were new and have never been run apart.

It really is finicky about that shift, and I am staring to think that it is the ramps on the Race Face Rings. I can feel it happening and no matter how I try, I can't work around it. The chain just will not let go...a few times I was on a flat and able to clip out and use my drive side foot to release the tension on the chain by 'hooking' the r.deraileur with my heel or toe while back pedaling with my left foot. The chain just refuses to let go!?!?

No visable burs on the teeth, no stiff or bent links in the chain...I am thinking about new rings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    new middle ring and chain would probably solve the problem, but before you do that, be sure that both the rings and chain are CLEAN and well lubricated. it will probably not have anything to do with the granny.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmtbkr
    I am currently running a set of Race Face Deus XC cranks and rings on my Hardtail. I have a Sram Chain and a Sram Cassette.

I am getting chain suck when dropping into the granny gear and I can not seem to stop it!

I am beginning to think there might be a compatibility problem...any help would be appreciated!

When it happens, stop straight away, as carefully as possible so the chain stays stuck, and see what has gone wrong.

Any chance the chain is actually getting jammed between the middle and granny?

Nick

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hopefully the problem will be solved now. Brought her in to the LBS...

New Middle and Granny Ring, reset the spacing with new spacers when the cranks were off.

I'll see how she does tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice -

G

Ride the dream
    Just to point out - new rings will *probably* mean a new chain and cassette are needed to.

(the old cassette will have worn down with the rings, and the chain adapted to them)

Might save you alot of grief to just suck up and replace those too - since the result of the mismatch is broken chains (annoying as hell) and potential damage to your new rings,