Thread: Chain suck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Chain suck.

I bought a new bike and for the first 100 miles it worked awesome. On a ride Saturday, that involved a couple of deep water crossing, I started having some issues with chain suck. The crank is LX and I spend little time in the granny. The rear is a lower end SRAM although I don't think the problem is the cassette or the crank. The chain is a low end Shimano HG chain that looks like dull steel. I think the chain is my issue and is starting to wear.

Am I going in the right direction?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    check your rings...100 miles sounds like little mileage for worn rings, but of course it depends on riding conditions....

also it could just be that all the lube was washed away in the crossing...so the chain got "sticky"...
    Last edited by crisillo; 11-19-2007 at 03:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    true crisillo,
    try hosing down the drive train (don't blow everything away with a powerful stream, the garden hose will work) and then relube the chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Are you shifting under load by any chance? If so try to reduce force while shifting. I was surprised when chain-suck happened on a almost new XTR drivetrain sending me on the ground, since then I never shift under load, whenever I can anyway. Also experiment with lubes, from my experience thinner wet lubes like tri-flow are more prone to chainsuck than wax-based ones like white-lightning.

ballbuster

Chain lube?

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    I bought a new bike and for the first 100 miles it worked awesome. On a ride Saturday, that involved a couple of deep water crossing, I started having some issues with chain suck. The crank is LX and I spend little time in the granny. The rear is a lower end SRAM although I don't think the problem is the cassette or the crank. The chain is a low end Shimano HG chain that looks like dull steel. I think the chain is my issue and is starting to wear.

Am I going in the right direction?
    I have to lube my chain like every 20-30 miles. If you can hear your chain make chain-y noises, it needs lube. Chains should be pretty much silent.

If you're riding in the wet, don't use wax lubes. Use something thick and oily like Finish Line Cross Country or Pedro's SynLube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've been lubing the chain after every ride, cleaning the chain too. I've been using Boeing Shield since that is what I use on the road. Sifting under load? Sure. The rings and cassette still look great although I decided to measure the low end Shinamo HG chain and it is stretched our to .6 of a mm so its shot. I'm going to replace it before riding the bike again.

Maybe its time to look at a different lube too?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    try jensons, and price a Cn 7701, much better chain as compared to some of the lower end models for not much more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    .... Sifting under load? Sure....
    Downshifting under load in front into the smallest ring is pretty much a guaranteed method to cause chainsuck, on any drivetrain, and even more so if it is not brand new.

Also see this:

http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar
    Downshifting under load in front into the smallest ring is pretty much a guaranteed method to cause chainsuck,

Yep. You can get away with shifting the RD under load, but shifting the front is asking for trouble.