mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New question here. Chain slipping on smallest gears on cassette

I hope somebody can give me some insight. I just got my drivetrain put back together after an incident that demolished my chain and mid chain ring. First ride back out when I really crank on it, the chain slips if I'm in one of the smallest 2 rear gears and largest two chain rings.

Couple of disclaimers here. It feels like the chain slipping, but could it be my hub? Also, like I said, I just replaced the chain, and I went from a Shimano chain to a SRAM. I was in between links, so I went with the shorter option as I assume the old chain had stretched a little bit anyways. I can't imagine that would have any effect as the same amount of teeth are engaged in the chain. Lastly, there aren't any broken teeth or signs of excessive wear on the gears. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

yeah it still hurts...
    Oct 2009
    hmmmmmmm...i had the same problem not to long ago (new bike since). id assume it might be the hub, with either your hub body or pawls being worn down.
    who put that tree there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You replaced the chain, but not the cassette? In my experiences if you replace one or the other but not both at the same time you end up with this issue. Porbably worn cassete.
    Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

~Disc~Golf~
    what was the 'incident'?
    could it be that you have a bent hanger?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Chain skipping, is too vague a symptom and used describe two completely different problems

Skipping, or climbing out of a cog under high torque, is often the result of sprocket wear. If you still have it, check your old chain for stretch as an indicator of possible sprocket wear. If it's stretched over 1% there's a good likelihood the cassette is worn too.

Skipping, or or not staying settled on cogs, running roughly, or autoshifting to adjacent cogs can be because of damaged teeth, or a misaligned or misadjusted RD.

As Hillrider said, the nature of the incident might provide clues, along with a more clear description of what's happening.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    As Hillrider said, the nature of the incident might provide clues, along with a more clear description of what's happening.
    Hillrider huh?
    I'm all for new nicknames, but to be more accurate it'd be more like 'hillwalker' or 'bikepusher'

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Are you using a power (master) link? If so - check the direction of the link. I had this problem in the last cog and it was skipping cause my link was on backwards. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It looks like Skip was right as I replaced the cassette, and that particular problem is fixed. As for the "incident", I don't really know what happened exactly. I shifted from my mid chainring to the small one as I was heading into a stream crossing. When I went to mash the pedals on the back side, I guess maybe the chain hadn't dropped all the way, and it jammed, twisted, and broke the chain. When I replaced the chain, I realized that my mid chain ring was bent to hell, so I obviously replaced that too. Now, after a new chain, a chainring, and cog, I just realized that I have play in the bottom bracket, so I assume that's shot too. Is that a pretty safe assumption? I've only ever had 1 bottom bracket go out on me, and I seem to remember that the ability to "wiggle" the crank laterally was the tell-tale sign.

Mmanuel, I know at one time the powerlinks were directional, but I think they changed it. I have the PC971 with the gold link and each side is asymetrical, but they're mirror images of each other, so it's the same either way. Good call though because I forgot about that possibility.
    Last edited by dstelk; 02-24-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Hillrider huh?
    I'm all for new nicknames, but to be more accurate it'd be more like 'hillwalker' or 'bikepusher'
    He's confusing you perhaps with a guy over on bikeforums.net by that name....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    He's confusing you perhaps with a guy over on bikeforums.net by that name....

Nothing that exotic, just having a senior moment.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dstelk
    It looks like Skip was right as I replaced the cassette, and that particular problem is fixed. As for the "incident", I don't really know what happened exactly. I shifted from my mid chainring to the small one as I was heading into a stream crossing. When I went to mash the pedals on the back side, I guess maybe the chain hadn't dropped all the way, and it jammed, twisted, and broke the chain. When I replaced the chain, I realized that my mid chain ring was bent to hell, so I obviously replaced that too. Now, after a new chain, a chainring, and cog, I just realized that I have play in the bottom bracket, so I assume that's shot too. Is that a pretty safe assumption? I've only ever had 1 bottom bracket go out on me, and I seem to remember that the ability to "wiggle" the crank laterally was the tell-tale sign.

Mmanuel, I know at one time the powerlinks were directional, but I think they changed it. I have the PC971 with the gold link and each side is asymetrical, but they're mirror images of each other, so it's the same either way. Good call though because I forgot about that possibility.

Wipperman quick links are still directional

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yup - the wipperman link is what I'm using on my XTR. Only for a short while though. I've got a brand new shiny 10speed KMC that I'm dying to put on.

dstelk - Glad to hear you got the problem fixed. Happy Riding!

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm having a skipping chain but only in the biggest sprocket, I've replaced the chain when it's reached the 0.75 mark in my chain wear park tool, but may be I've replaced it too late?? could I wait to see if the new chain stretches a little and stops skipping or this is a bad idea? it's a pity having to replace the whole cassete due to only one worn sprocket...

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ban
    I'm having a skipping chain but only in the biggest sprocket, I've replaced the chain when it's reached the 0.75 mark in my chain wear park tool, but may be I've replaced it too late?? could I wait to see if the new chain stretches a little and stops skipping or this is a bad idea? it's a pity having to replace the whole cassete due to only one worn sprocket...
    chains dont really stretch, the pins and roller wear and get looser and that makes the chain longer. waiting isnt going to do much because the chain is steel and the ring is probably aluminum. when the teeth on the gears wear they get bigger and hook shaped so running a new chain isnt going to fix it. I think you will need a new casette, but you could also have a bent tooth on the one ring and / or missaligned deraillier.
    Try measuring the chain 12" from pin to pin and see how far off it is, if its over 1/8" you probably need the cassette and at least a middle ring up front.
    In the future allways replace the chain when its 1/16" over 12" and you get 3 or 4 rings to a chain and even more life from a cassette

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm having a skipping chain but only in the biggest sprocket, I've replaced the chain when it's reached the 0.75 mark in my chain wear park tool, but may be I've replaced it too late?? could I wait to see if the new chain stretches a little and stops skipping or this is a bad idea? it's a pity having to replace the whole cassette due to only one worn sprocket...

Skipping limited to the largest cassette sprocket is almost never related to chain stretch. (yes DanO, I mean wear, but we call it stretch because it''s a good discriptive term) Anyway chain/cassette wear issues almost always manifest most severely on the smaller sprockets which are ridden most, so I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

Since it's limited to only the one sprocket, I doubt it's a trim issue which would affect a few or all sprockets, and that leaves 3 likely possibilities.

1- a bent or chipped tooth on the sprocket
    2- the inner "L" limit set a hair tight and keeping the RD outboard of perfect trim
    3- the "B" (RD angle adjustment) screw adjustment off a bit and the jockey wheel touching the sprocket through the chain.

You can diagnose 1&3 by careful observation, and test for 2 by backing the "L" limit screw out a bit. If you adjust the limit make sure that the RD can't move in far enough to overshift the chain or itself into the spokes.

If #2 is your problem, tighten the "B" screw to bring the RD down and away from the cassette, and see if that solves it. Note, you might have to re-adjust trim afterward.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^

mtbr member
    May 2006

You can easily go out to 1.0 wear on the Park Tool, you will get a lot longer chain life, and I get 3 to 5 chains on a rear cassette and chainring combo.

So no you havn't waited too long.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    okay guys, cheers for all advice given, I'll check all 3poinst FBinNY has said, I hope I won`t have to replace the cassete this time!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    You can easily go out to 1.0 wear on the Park Tool, you will get a lot longer chain life, and I get 3 to 5 chains on a rear cassette and chainring combo.

So no you havn't waited too long.
    oh no, not this again

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think it worked! I adjusted the L screw in the derailleur and it "seems" to work, "seems" as I could only tested in my garage ramp (but standing up & smashing hard on the pedals, I hope to put a real test in a real mountain tomorrow if it stops raining for a while...), anyway, yesterday I climbed the same garage ramp and being seated, the chain skipped so I guess it was only a question of a little adjustment...cheers again!!