mtbr member
    Feb 2007

chain slipping/ gears changing incorrectly

hi, i have just bought a new chain as my old one snapped and a new grip shift. after fitting, the gears change incorrectly, skipping 2 cogs at a time with one shift not using all the gears. also on the 2 highest gears, the chain slips when i ride making these gears uncomfortable to use.

the chain is a sram pc 58 8 speed and the grip shift is also a sram 8 speed. the deraighlier/ rear mech is a shimano altus

does anyone kno why or how to fix these problems

thanks

Weapon of Choice
    I am in the same situation as you but I believe the front derailer is causing the ghost shifts; at least for me anyway. My riding buddies told me to turn the adjustment knob on the right side trigger shift. It really didn't help at all.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Is your new gripshift type of Attack or Rocket because only these type work with Shimano rear derailleurs.

mtbr member
    You might also find that the cassette and/or the chain rings are worn and don't play very well with the new chain.

Tim

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    thanks for the posts. you are probably right, as i dont think my grip shift is compatible with my deraillier, which i should have looked up before buying, and the cassete on the back is old and looks slightly worn so this could be the reason for the skipping.

eat your porridge jordie
    Are you sure you set up the shifter right? I'm using a SRAM gripshift (mrx-100) with my acera rear der. and it shifts perfectly. Is the new chain the same length as the old one? How do the teeth look on casette? If they aren't excessively worn it should work fine. Try giving the barrel adjuster on the rear der. a 1/2 turn clockwise. If it doesn't get things shifting better, try another 1/2 turn.

mtbr member
    I just put a new old stock Sram Grip Shift on my wifes 24 speed. It was pretty cheap ($9) and it skips a couple of gears. The LBS couldnt get it to work either. It works on the biggest and smallest rings so its more like an 18 speed. The instructions said it works on all Shimano. I guess there was a reason it was so cheap and its no longer made.