mtbr member

Chain slippage please help

I have an 05 Kona Coiler. My problem is when I abruptly mash the peddles for a quick sprint the chain slips on the cassette. This usually causes the chain to catch on a smaller sprocket for a split second, completely killing my momentum. This almost always occurs when riding aggressively while the rear suspension is compressing. Is this an issue involving chain length? I am in the middle ring in the front and running bash. I have shortened the chain by one length and this seems like it might not be enough.

banned
    Does it only come on during suspension movement? If so, your housing may not me long enough, causing it to shift. Only way it would downshift is with rapid rise though.. so I dunno.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Does it only come on during suspension movement? If so, your housing may not me long enough, causing it to shift. Only way it would downshift is with rapid rise though.. so I dunno.
    Agreed. I say try running full length housing from the front triangle, straight to the Rear Derialeur. See how this goes.

How worn is the drivetrain? If your chain is worn, and the teeth on your cassette/chainrings are looking hooked, it may be time to replace them.

One other thing to look at, but very unlikely to be causing your problem... check to see if your Derialeur hanger is straight and that the deraileur itself is not bent.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Take a close look at your chain and cassette. Sounds like worn parts possibly.

mtbr member
    Probably 90% of the time it happens during compression of the rear shock. It has a Fox Vanilla R with 6 inches of travel and I weigh around 205 so the suspension is fairly active. I am usually in a lower gear maybe 2-4 in the rear and the chain momentarily drops to a higher gear totally killing the momentum I am trying to build. I am ignorant to what you are referring to as a housing, please advice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by standard235

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dingleberry
    Probably 90% of the time it happens during compression of the rear shock. It has a Fox Vanilla R with 6 inches of travel and I weigh around 205 so the suspension is fairly active. I am usually in a lower gear maybe 2-4 in the rear and the chain momentarily drops to a higher gear totally killing the momentum I am trying to build. I am ignorant to what you are referring to as a housing, please advice.
    Temporarily remove the shock from the bike. Put the bike in a stand and make sure the rear wheel is supported when you do this. Cycle the rear suspension through the full range of travel. (I.e. lift up the rear wheel from its support.) While cycling the rear suspension, examine the derailleur cable housing to see if the frame is pulling the housing out of one of its stops. If it is doing so, you need to replace that section of housing with one that is somewhat longer.

I had this problem on my Specialized Enduro one time. The section of housing that was running under the bottom bracket was getting pulled out of the stop when the suspension was compressed. For me, this caused the bike to shift into an lower gear when going over a big bump. On a bike with a rapid rise derailleur, the bike would shift into a higher gear. It sounds like you have a rapid rise derailleur on your bike.

mtbr member
    Cable housing, little slow that hadn't even entered my mind. I have the stock Deore LX rear derailleur, I dont think its rapid rise.