Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: chain slip

  1. #1
    I endorse self propulsion
    Reputation: biggsmoothe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    159

    chain slip

    hi guys, noob question...2 weeks ago i got an '05 Rockhopper comp and i'm having issues w/ the chain slipping when i put hard pressure on the pedal (due to steeper inclines). doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying, and its not that its changing rings or gears, but its like it slips off of one link and catches the next. would this be caused by poor technique or is there a mechanical explanation? i've read about cable stretching, but would that happen this soon?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GearHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsmoothe
    hi guys, noob question...2 weeks ago i got an '05 Rockhopper comp and i'm having issues w/ the chain slipping when i put hard pressure on the pedal (due to steeper inclines). doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying, and its not that its changing rings or gears, but its like it slips off of one link and catches the next. would this be caused by poor technique or is there a mechanical explanation? i've read about cable stretching, but would that happen this soon?
    The cables will have stretched and the housing will have compressed throwing off the indexing of your drivetrain. This occurs on the first couple of rides until everything beds in.

    Also, a bent derailleur hanger would give you similar symptoms.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

  3. #3
    I endorse self propulsion
    Reputation: biggsmoothe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    This occurs on the first couple of rides until everything beds in.

    Also, a bent derailleur hanger would give you similar symptoms.
    so, assuming its not a bent derailleur, the slipping should resolve itself?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GearHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsmoothe
    so, assuming its not a bent derailleur, the slipping should resolve itself?
    Nope, it will either stay the way it is or only get worse.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneEyeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsmoothe
    hi guys, noob question...2 weeks ago i got an '05 Rockhopper comp and i'm having issues w/ the chain slipping when i put hard pressure on the pedal (due to steeper inclines). doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying, and its not that its changing rings or gears, but its like it slips off of one link and catches the next. would this be caused by poor technique or is there a mechanical explanation? i've read about cable stretching, but would that happen this soon?
    Rotate the rear derailleur cable tension adjuster 1 click counter clockwise and ride.
    If you still get slipping, repeat till it stops.
    Lenny

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GearHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsmoothe
    so, assuming its not a bent derailleur, the slipping should resolve itself?
    I wouldn't assume that it is not a bent derailleur hanger, I would check that too.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

  7. #7
    I endorse self propulsion
    Reputation: biggsmoothe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    Rotate the rear derailleur cable tension adjuster 1 click counter clockwise and ride.
    If you still get slipping, repeat till it stops.
    Lenny
    i will try it....thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •