Thread: Chain Slap

ಠ_ಠ

Chain Slap

Is there anything I can do to mitigate chain slap? Would getting a med. cage derailleur and shortening the chain help? Is there a way to add more tension to the rear der.?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Would getting a med. cage derailleur and shortening the chain help?
    yes, absolutely!

Also, sram stuff has a lot less chainslap then shimano- that's been my experience. Also, SRAM dreailuers can't rotate up and hit the horst link on yout titus, so you'll get less noise there.

ಠ_ಠ
    Does anyone know if I can simply replace the long cage on my SRAM X.9 with a medium?

I did a search, but I'm not seeing the cages being sold separately.

bang
    getting rid of the front derailer and putting on a chainstay protector (lizard skins, old inner tube, whatever) would also help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Does anyone know if I can simply replace the long cage on my SRAM X.9 with a medium?
    the different length cages cater for different gear ratios. if you have a 3x9 drivetrain, and something in the vicinity of a 45t difference you will need the longcage RD.

that is: 44/33/22 crankset = 44 - 22 = 22t difference; 11-34 cassette = 34 - 11 = 23t difference; 22+23 = 45t difference

the longcage RD allows you to use the appropriate length chain to cope with the 44-34 (big-big) gear ratio and take up the slack with the 22-11 (small-small) ratio. a medium cage will not cope with this and if the chain is too short, the RD can be stretched off and broken. some people do use the medium cage RD with a 45t setup, but must be vigilant not to use the extremes of gear ratios. i'd be worried about accidentally going there.

the medium cage is designed for a max of 37t difference.

you should be able to buy the cage separately and swap them over. i've not tried, but i believe the X.9 is servicable in that way.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]