mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Chain skipping under load

I can't seem to place the culprit of my problem. Every time I try to throw down the crank with a lot of torque the chain skips momentarily, kind of like my foot goes down and there's nothing to push against. I can't quite place the problem because I can't replicate it in a stand, only when I'm about to hit a hill or something. Nothing *appears* to be broken and I doubt it's the cassette because it happens in lots of gears. Any guesses on what might be happening? Thanks

My setup:
    Race Face Deus 22/32/44 crankset
    Shimano XT M770 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32T cassette

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    toast/old chain/ cassette or crank rings...

mine just did that when I installed a new chain and cassette but the front rings were old.. too worn to stay messed under pressure... couldn't really tell by looking .. but got new front rings.. all is good...

most skipping like that is something really worn.. can also happen when the hanger is bent but will usually get some ghost shifting also....
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That makes sense, thanks.

Given that chainrings are almost as expensive as a new crankset, can I swap in a Truvativ X9 Crankset BB30 2.2 22/36 or would there be compatibility issues?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Chain rings aren't that bad. I got really nice Blackspires just this fall for around 50 buck for the two. Granted on sale but that happens pretty regular

As to the cranks - is your frame a bb30 style press in or a regular threaded style?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Threaded. Oh wait, there's another style? I had no idea.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Ya. Like 3 or 4. Thou all basically the same idea. They press in the bearings and/or cups instead of threading Kinda like headsets are. Bb30,bb92 and "press fit" are the major ones if I remember correctly