Thread: chain skipping

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

chain skipping

hey guys I had my bike stolen a while ago and when I got it back I did I full respray and rebuild putting new parts on it, ad one of the parts I put on it was a single speed conversion with a new single speed chain and down it skips like crazy usually when under the smallest amount of power and because of this I cant really ride how can I stop this skipping? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sounds like the chain is too loose. Are you using a tensioner? I'm not a fan of using a tensioner, my ss is a conversion but with the right gear combo, it does not need one. I'm standing up with all my weight on a pedal climbing at times and it doesn't skip, I would probably get injured if it did. I also use a bmx hub rather than a cog.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    yes I am using a tensioner and the chain is tight and it still skips, I went for a ride today it only really skipped when I was either going up a hill, taking off or just standing up to pedal faster or with more push, any ideas? I thought of a new chainring and a half link chain?

mtbr member
    Most likely the new chain you put on is skipping over a worn chainring or rear cog, assuming you didn't replace both of those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Can you tell if it is skipping the chainring or the cog? Probably the cog, and as JB said, it sounds like it may be worn. How many teeth does it have? I read an article on Surly's site saying you shouldn't go too small as you then end up with few teeth engaging the chain and a lot of pressure; makes sense. And the chain shouldn't really be "tight", should have a little slack but not enough that the chain can come off. As I mentioned, I have a BMX hub so it has longer teeth whereas if you are using a cog from a cassette, they are designed to allow the chain to shift off, you may want to try a single speed specific cog. I've been thinking about buying a chainring from Homebrew Components, just because they are so pretty.

chaz

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    the rear cog is like new and I haven't replaced the front one yet, I think its skipping on the rear cog and the ratios are 32 16

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

how about...

Your chainline? Is it straight? I converted an old trek with a busted non-standard mount rear derailleur to a single speed just using the cassette and it seemed ok but then the chain would pop off under pressure due to the chainline being off. I disassembled the cassette and another and used the spacers to properly line up the cog with the chainring and it was fine. Did you use a conversion kit or pvc pipe or what?

chaz