Thread: Chain skipping?

eat your porridge jordie

Chain skipping?

Looking for suggestions on what to check that could be causing my chain to skip in all gears. I was geared up to do a 14 mile ride today through the Waterman Mtns, about 1/4 way to the dirt road that leads to the trailhead the chain starts to skip. I get off the bike and adjust the derailleur barrel thinking my new cables are just stretching into shape. Nope, that's not it. I accept the bummer fact that I have to go back, so I head back home pedaling lightly. I've checked all over the derailleur, all cable tensions to it, and the chain for stiff links. Chain wear is not too bad, so I'm wondering what else could be causing this.

EDIT: It is a Shimano AceraX rear der.

eat your porridge jordie
    Bad news. I have a bent rear axle or something. If I freewheel the rear wheel, the cassette wobbles as if the axle under it is bent. Had the same problem on my old bike. BAD NEWS!!!

eat your porridge jordie
    Problem resolved. As it usually is, it was a stuck link. I couldn't get the link to free up so I i just took it out and replaced it with some of my backup links. Shes all good to go now, tip top shape. While I was checking out the axle I decided to repack the rear bearings. Looks like we're ready for a nice long early morning ride tomorrow. The wobbling cassette must be due to the cassette and/or freehub being loose. There is a little play up and down/side to side in the cassette, and the lockring is tight as can be. Riding fine though.