mtbr member

Listen! Chain skip, please help

Hey everyone, I have been trying to adjust my deraileur lately and I have run into a problem, every thing seem to work fine but when I shift from the 5th and above it skips 6 7 and 8th gears and just goes straight to the 9th , does anyone know what I should do to fix this?

Thanks
    "The eyes are the windows into the brain" -Timothy Leary

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Maybe your tension on cable is wrong! depending on the type of rear derailleur normally you have to begin your adjustment from the little gear and you have to adjust your cable tension correctly. But it always depend on what is your derailleur!!!

Sorry for my english

What drivetrain components are you using? What procedure are you following to adjust your derailleur? Parktool.com has very good instructions in their repair help section.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I am using SRAM X.7 front and rear derailleur, both newest model.

what instructions , I just mess around with H & L screws trying to figure it out, should I not be doing that?
    "The eyes are the windows into the brain" -Timothy Leary

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    The high and low limit screws just determine the lateral range the derailleur can travel and once they're set the chain should rest nicely on the bottom cog without trying to go lower and also sit nicely at the top without trying to move up and over into the spokes.

After those are set you shouldn't ever have to mess with them unless you make radical changes to your bike's drive ie: changing an 8 to a 9 or vice versa.

The easiest way (for me) to quickly fix shifting problems is to reset the shifter cable by realeasing it, letting the derailleur move to it's default position, and then snugging up the cable and tightening the cable screw.

After that I test the system by running through the gearing...

I run the derailleur from bottom to top first to check that the limit screws are indeed set correctly and then work through the gears to make sure one click yields one gear change.

Coming up from the bottom a failure to shift is usually caused by insufficient cable tension and increasing the cable tension can be done at the rear of the derailleur (major adjustments) and fine tuning the derailleur is done at the shifter.

I also check the upshift to make sure the chain drops into the next cog as you want things working well in both directions and this is where he fine tuning generally happens.

All your adjustment screws (except the H and L screws) should be set near the midpoint so adjustments can be done both ways... turning them out 4 or 5 turns before the cable is attached or re-atached should do.

You should of course ensure that your housings and cables are clean and smooth running and that your deraiileur isn't bent
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Brant-C.
    what shifters are you using?
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As above release cable set H and L screw so RD does not cause chain to fall off.

Then set cable tension.

I am thinking you got a bent RD, have you crashed on the RD recently, look for scraps.