mtbr member

Chain skip on new drivetrain?

Replaced my middle ring (XT 760), chain (XT), and cassette (XT) and now have chain skip whenever I put torque down on the pedals. Rat-at-tat-tat until it catches. No ghost shifting or chainsuck, just the skipping. I replaced my drivetrain b/c it was about time not b/c I was experiencing problems so I'm almost certain that the problem isn't something frame-related (Turner Flux). Why would this be happening on a new drivetrain and what could be causing this?

[paste title here]
    Is it skipping on the new chainring you put on? Or is it skipping on the third and granny rings. Somethings those wear out too, but from my experience its the middle that wears out the most. It depends on which front ring you use the most. If it is skipping on the middle ring then I would check if the derailleur hanger is bent.
    Keep Pedaling

Bruin Cycling

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's skipping in my new middle ring up front. When a chain skips, is it usually the chainring's fault or the cassett's?

Zero Miles from Myself
    How about stiff links? Many times slightly stiff links will only show up as a problem under load.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    double check how you installed the chain rings, are the notches lined up and are the rings installed on the right side of the spider the same way they came off?

3 "fiddy" for short
    A lot of people have complained about XT rings and this problem. IIRC, switching to a different brand ring solved the problem.

mtbr member
    Okay, I'm taking your advice. Today I got a Race Face middle ring put on and did a couple of short climbs under heavy load. So far it's not acting up. I'll do a thorough test ride tomorrow. I noticed that the Race Face has 34 teeth instead of 32 like the XT. Will I notice any difference?

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by kranest
    Okay, I'm taking your advice. Today I got a Race Face middle ring put on and did a couple of short climbs under heavy load. So far it's not acting up. I'll do a thorough test ride tomorrow. I noticed that the Race Face has 34 teeth instead of 32 like the XT. Will I notice any difference?
    You will be fine. Just make sure that your chain is long enough and that the rear derailleur had the proper cage. Only other thing that I can think of is that the Front derailleur will need to be adjusted a little. But, you probably already did that anyway. I hope it all works out for you.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    the climbs will be tougher
    keep an eye on the teeth of that middle ring , I've had 2 that had a tooth just snap off, right by a ramp & pin, known defect

I Love my Rize

This is the ring you want

Install this ring and say goodbye to ALL your middle ring troubles for cheapo bucks. Alu granny and middle rings are terrible. Steel is the way to go and they last mucho longer. I would also put on a steel granny while I was at it and you will have the XT crank from HELL. Might be the best setup going right now. The extra weight from the steel rings are minscule but the reliability and toughness are well worth it.

22t steel LX granny ring for hollowtech II... http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CR5808

32t Deore steel middle ring m510....http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CR2998
    Last edited by danoalb; 06-12-2007 at 09:55 PM.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Took her out today and put her through her paces. As soon as she got that new ring she performed flawlessly - smooth as butta. It's hard to tell her apart from my wife lately.

I Love my Rize

What one did you get?

Took her out today and put her through her paces. As soon as she got that new ring she performed flawlessly - smooth as butta. It's hard to tell her apart from my wife lately.
    Change the granny out with a steel LX ring. What middle ring did you get?
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    A nice Race Face. I've never had any problems with the big or granny. If I do, I'll go that route.

I Love my Rize

Glad to hear it

A nice Race Face. I've never had any problems with the big or granny. If I do, I'll go that route.

If the middle wears too fast get the Deore steel. They shift perfect. Good luck, just remember that Alu rings aren't that durable in any brand.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY