mtbr member
    Mar 2009

chain shortening problem

I was shortening a new chain, removed two links, and then put it back together. But the link where I pushed the pin back in now does not flex well. It's very stiff. What could I have done wrong?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The chain pins are not re-usable. AFAIK you should break the chain at any regular pin, but not at the master pin (the one with black flat heads), and then use a new master pin to connect the ends back. Or, even better, use a powerlink from Sram / KMC / Connex.
    If it's a new chain, you should've got a master pin with it.

~Disc~Golf~
    Either push the pin back from the other side just a tit or flex it back and forth laterally a few times.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Entirely normal, just flex the chain side to side, you can use the chain tool features to help http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=53. Don't reuse pins on a Shimano chain, though, use the replacement Shimano pins or a quick link.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    +1 Bikinfoolferlife's got it right.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks, everyone. I flexed the chain sideways a few times and it loosened up. The chain is now installed and seems to work fine.