mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Chain rubbing on pulley.

When I'm in the smallest chainring and cog, the rear derailleur pulley rubs on the cog and sounds terrible. How can I remedy this. Someone told me just not to use that gear combination..? Also, I just got his bike and I just finished tuning the rear der. since it came all messed up and it's a little noisy. It shifts fine, but it's noisy. I've got powerglide cassette and x7 rear der. The bike is a Woodstock 505.

-Avinash
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    there should be an adjustment screw that sets the gap between the upper pullly and the smallest cog(at least there is one on my x9).....you might want to take some links out of that chain also....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Is the screw your talking about called the B-Screw? With this turned fully in, it doesn't help. According to SRAM's directions, you should give it extra 2 links while on the largest chainring and largest cog. I checked this and it seems to be fine.

You think I should take 1 link off?

-Avinash

neutiquam erro
    Don't use that friggin' gear combination! It's called "cross-chaining" and is a very evil thing to do to your drivetrain. Same thing with the "big-big" combo. Your RD is all shrunken up and your chain (assuming it was sized properly [not using RD as kattywhumpus says above]) looks loose in that pic because you are in small-small and your poor chain isn't wrapped around very many teeth (so it's just hanging there because there's hardly any tension in the drivetrain overall).

Do not cross-chain - nothing good comes of it!

Cheers, Chris
    Last edited by Chris130; 06-30-2007 at 06:30 PM.
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by avinash
    Is the screw your talking about called the B-Screw? With this turned fully in, it doesn't help. According to SRAM's directions, you should give it extra 2 links while on the largest chainring and largest cog. I checked this and it seems to be fine.

You think I should take 1 link off?

-Avinash
    ya its the B screw...if your turning that and its not helping something else is your problem....when you checked your chain length you didn't go through the derailure(?) correct,,,?,

All 26.5" all the time!
    I seriously doubt the B-tension screw will do anything to help that.

1. Don't use that gear combo

2. If you insist on using that gear combo, try removing a few links from your chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Smile

Thank you guys for all your help. I've decided I'm not going to remove any links and just avoid that combo. I did some research and it looks like the best method is to just avoid that gear combination.

The B-screw did not change anything and it also states in multiple sources that it should not be used for that purpose

Thanks everyone.

-Avinash