mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chain rubbing on FD cage

Hey guys,

Suddenly I am noticing the chain rubbing on the FD cage. Here is the scenario...

XT FD, 2x10 set-up.

When I am in the large-ring, and largest gear in the back (granny?) the chain is rubbing against the inside left of the cage, looking straight down. It is basically fine in any other combination.

Is this a limit screw adjustment? Or cable?

Thanks

mtbr member
    That's called cross chaining and is hard on the drive train. Stay away from that gear combo. It stretches the chain and works it at an extreme angle.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yea I generally do. I figured out what the problem was anyway. The cage was slightly tilted and not perfectly straight. I adjusted it and it's fine now.

But yea, I agree. Best to avoid that gearing

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If its 2x10 then it should be set up to work in all combo's. The cross-chaining argument is really not applicable for the modern 2x

I would say the limit screw is a touch too far out for the outer chainring, but check when the chain is in the 11 too. It should be practically touching in the 11 as well as the in the other extreme (?36)

You might also check when doing the limit screw that this doesn't affect any other parameters too. Usually the other limit screw is one of the last adjustment to be done when setting up the front derailleur.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa View Post
    Yea I generally do. I figured out what the problem was anyway. The cage was slightly tilted and not perfectly straight. I adjusted it and it's fine now.

But yea, I agree. Best to avoid that gearing
    Yea that happened to me too, when my bike was brand new it came with the FD mounted at an off angle. My local bike shop fixed it free since I bought it there.