mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. Chain rub help, please!....

Hey there...

I just replaced my middle and small chainrings, rear derailleur and chain (cassette is pretty new as well). Now, the problem is that when i'm on the middle chain ring and largest cog (as well as second largest) i get the chain rubbing against the inner plate on the front derailleur....
    I never had this problem with the old chain rings, i could shift through all the cogs on my middle chainring with no chain rub. I can't seem to figure out how to eliminate this chain rub, does anyone have any suggests???
    Please help....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Adjust the cable tension via the shifter thumbwheel (turn in) and that might take care of it. Understanding how to adjust derailluers, set screws and cable tension is not that hard if you have someone who knows show you how. Once learned you will be a pro in no time.

Now if you put on different brand chainrings it might screw everything up due to spacing problems. Make sure you didn't put them on backwards. If you are using indexed front shifting then you have to be real fine in the adjustment to get it to work. If you are using a non indexed grip shifter then you can deal with the chain rub a lot easier just by fine tuning the shifter.