Results 1 to 51 of 51
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dgwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    72

    chain recommendations

    I am upgrading my drivetrain to LX hollowtech crankset, X9 shift-der, and PG-990 cassette. Would appreciate chain recommendations . . .durability and shifting performance are primary concerns, weight a distant third.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    33
    i use a mixture of sram and shimano on my drive train. i run a Holzfeller crank, XT front de., sram pg-970 cassette, Shadow XT rear de, with sram pc-991 chain. works beautifully. i would stick to the sram chains myself, because i've had the least amount of trouble with them, but i'm sure the shimano chains are probably just as reliable. i've also used a KMC 9-spd chain, but it was worthless. it would get hung up in the XT rear de, and wouldnt roll worth a damn, and as soon as i went back to sram chains my troubles were solved.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,015
    check out jenson's shimano cn-7701

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dgwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    72
    I like to use the sram powerlink for easy off the bike cleaning - it looks like that will work with the 7701 as well . . .

  5. #5
    Quack Attack
    Reputation: dfioc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238
    I have XTR on both of my bikes but run Sram 991 hollow-pin chains and have had great results. Lightweight and strong.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    142
    I use SRAM chains. Although its not advised to use a chainbreaker on them, if you do break it then put a powerlink in. If you do use a chainbreaker on a SRAM chain then you will end up with a very stiff link, and it will be the weakest point in the chain.

  7. #7
    wyrd bi ful rd
    Reputation: chinaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,725
    Does anyone notice that on an SRAM chain PC991, the outer link is actually thicker than a HG93. The actual width of the chain is also thicker. Quite happy with both and have not had any problems, but I do clean my chain and oil them quite often. If I do not have time to clean the whole bike, I will still clean my drive train just so it is ready for the next ride.

  8. #8
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,080
    I use the 7701, never had an issue. Once, last year, I bought a cheaper Shimano chain, I can't remember if it was a HG53 or 73 or whatever. My point is I went up north (AZ) to the mountains and it rained while I was there. Despite keeping my bike under a tarp the chain completely rusted in that short time. The XTR chains are more corrosion resistant than the cheaper chains. (and yes, I use a sram powerlink on them, no problem)

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Wipperman. Beats shimano and SRAM hands down.

  10. #10
    College Boy
    Reputation: Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Wipperman. Beats shimano and SRAM hands down.
    it may beat them hands down but it also cost like 2 or more times as much and to me that extra cost is not worth it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dgwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Wipperman. Beats shimano and SRAM hands down.
    Beats them in shifting, durability, or weight?

  12. #12
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,978

    Durability yes, but not elsewhere

    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Wipperman. Beats shimano and SRAM hands down.
    Durability...the 9x1 certainly does beat Shimano and SRAM

    Shifting...the Shimano CN7701 is far superior to the Wipperman

    I've owned both and I have found the Shimano a far superior shifting chain that is quite durable and can be had at half the price (or less).

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    it may beat them hands down but it also cost like 2 or more times as much and to me that extra cost is not worth it.
    Bull.

    $40 once a year is a lot better than repairing a SRAM or Shimano 8 or 9 times a season.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Durability...the 9x1 certainly does beat Shimano and SRAM

    Shifting...the Shimano CN7701 is far superior to the Wipperman

    I've owned both and I have found the Shimano a far superior shifting chain that is quite durable and can be had at half the price (or less).
    I've busted every level of Shimano chain way too many times. SRAM chains wear out too fast. Shifting is no better with the Shimano chain than the Wipperman.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,029
    I do like the shimano chains...except for the lack of quick link. Breaking chains on a regualr basis to clean them has a drastic impact on long term durability. I used ot sweat by what are now sram chains when they were sedis...but I have broken too many sram chains. Side plates torn in half = never use them again.


    For my $, when all is figured, whipperman wins. They are expensive, but just buy a couple when they go on sale. They have FAR outlasted others based on chain-stretch (which = longer lasting entire drivetrain...), and I have never had a failure with a whipperman.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dgwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    I do like the shimano chains...except for the lack of quick link. Breaking chains on a regualr basis to clean them has a drastic impact on long term durability. I used ot sweat by what are now sram chains when they were sedis...but I have broken too many sram chains. Side plates torn in half = never use them again..
    Looking at other posts, I think plenty of people are using the Powerlink with Shimano chains, with no problems. The Wipperman also has a quick link.

  16. #16
    College Boy
    Reputation: Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Bull.

    $40 once a year is a lot better than repairing a SRAM or Shimano 8 or 9 times a season.



    I've busted every level of Shimano chain way too many times. SRAM chains wear out too fast. Shifting is no better with the Shimano chain than the Wipperman.
    Umm I going off MSRP Wip $80 Sram and Shimano around $40. Only thing I really have read is the Wipper last 1.5-2 times longer just not worth the cost to me.

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    Umm I going off MSRP Wip $80 Sram and Shimano around $40. Only thing I really have read is the Wipper last 1.5-2 times longer just not worth the cost to me.
    Buying anything at MSRP is stupid. It's easy to find Wipperman chains for $30-$40 online.

  18. #18
    mud slinger
    Reputation: kona4lyf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    234
    been running a pc 991 sram for a while,just picked up a gold wipperman chain with powerlink,must say i am liking it alot,not a bad chain at all
    "do the things you fear and the death of fear is certain"

  19. #19
    College Boy
    Reputation: Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Buying anything at MSRP is stupid. It's easy to find Wipperman chains for $30-$40 online.
    but at the same time it is a good number to pull for comparing prices because you can find sram and Shimano at 1/2 those prices. It is not that hard. Point stands Wipperman cost normally 2 times as much as the SRAM Shimano versions

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    but at the same time it is a good number to pull for comparing prices because you can find sram and Shimano at 1/2 those prices. It is not that hard. Point stands Wipperman cost normally 2 times as much as the SRAM Shimano versions
    Correct. If they cost twice as much but you only have to replace them 1/3 as frequently, you save money.

  21. #21
    College Boy
    Reputation: Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Correct. If they cost twice as much but you only have to replace them 1/3 as frequently, you save money.

    umm do the math. I said the life they seem to get is 1.5-2 times that of a sram Shimano chain.

    That means you have to replace them some where between some where more than 1/2 has often. That translate into more $$$

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dgwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    72
    The lowest price I find for the CN7701 is $22.00.

    There are several Wipperman 9 speed chains ranging from $40.00 to $80.00.
    The 9X1 is $55.00 at Speedgoat.

    I think I'll go with the Shimano. If it stretches prematurely, I'll spend the extra bucks on a
    9X1 next time. I'm pretty light, and there are not huge climbs here where I do 80% of my riding.

    Thanks for the advice!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,015
    you'll like it, I have tried the wippermanns,but they are just too expensive compared to the shimano's for me.

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    umm do the math. I said the life they seem to get is 1.5-2 times that of a sram Shimano chain.

    That means you have to replace them some where between some where more than 1/2 has often. That translate into more $$$
    You're not taking into account that SRAM and Shimano chains are weak pieces of sh!t and break, twist and generally fall apart quickly. You get what you pay for, and for a chain, that ISN'T SRAM or Shimano.

  25. #25
    Quack Attack
    Reputation: dfioc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    You're not taking into account that SRAM and Shimano chains are weak pieces of sh!t and break, twist and generally fall apart quickly. You get what you pay for, and for a chain, that ISN'T SRAM or Shimano.
    Gee, that's not a generalization. I've used SRAM and Shimano chains for years without problems. Either you're the unluckiest rider here, you're abusing them or you're a liar.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by dfioc
    Gee, that's not a generalization. I've used SRAM and Shimano chains for years without problems. Either you're the unluckiest rider here, you're abusing them or you're a liar.
    That is actually correct. Wipperman is actually tensionally stronger than Shimano and Sram chains. But you've used SRAM and Shimano chains for years without problems. Either you're the luckiest rider here, you're not abusing them, or you're a liar. I'd guess a liar.

  27. #27
    College Boy
    Reputation: Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    That is actually correct. Wipperman is actually tensionally stronger than Shimano and Sram chains. But you've used SRAM and Shimano chains for years without problems. Either you're the luckiest rider here, you're not abusing them, or you're a liar. I'd guess a liar.
    I am going to with you a wipperman fan boy. To many people here like Sram and Shimano chains and do not have an issue with them so I would not call him a lieing and I know quite a few people who abuse their Sram and Shimano chains with out an issue.

    Of the people I ride with I know of 2 snapped Shimano or sram chains. Mine which was taking damage from a bent chain ring I did not know about. and one of the guys I ride with. The guy I ride with the chain had over 1k miles on it and on a damage cassette that was in need of replacing when he snapped it. Other wise people I ride with have push their chains pretty hard.

    I do not know what the hell you do to destroy them so quickly because clearly they do not snap all the time.

  28. #28
    Quack Attack
    Reputation: dfioc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    That is actually correct. Wipperman is actually tensionally stronger than Shimano and Sram chains. But you've used SRAM and Shimano chains for years without problems. Either you're the luckiest rider here, you're not abusing them, or you're a liar. I'd guess a liar.
    Wrong guess. You're an idiot too.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

  29. #29
    Ancient Winged Rider
    Reputation: Dragoneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    312
    I wonder if the guy that is saying that Wipperman chains has read any reviews on this website. They aren't very good.
    I used Shimano XTR dura ace chains for many years. They are good but as it was said before, a chain tool has to be used to break the chain. So you are limited as far as cleaning your drivetrain because of the pins you have to replace.
    I'm using a SRAM PC-991 Cross Step chain and I really like it. Taking it apart is easy and putting it back together is easy also.
    I have a question, has anyone use a KMC X9 gold chain?

  30. #30
    wyrd bi ful rd
    Reputation: chinaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,725
    I usually try to shift only when I am not putting down too much strength into the pedal ... or I actually slow down my pedalling.

    When I am on a climb I might even go at an angle to the climb (if you kbnow what I mean) such that it is not as steep and then shift.

    I will usually shift before the climb ahead. Somehow I hate the sound of the 'crink crink ... crinkking' ... quiet again (may not be the best description but you should know what I mean)

  31. #31
    wants a taco
    Reputation: nubcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    ive broken 1-2 shimano chains before but have never had any issues with my sram chains. I usually try to pay attention to gear combos and clean and lube my drivetrain regularly. Never used wipperman before because sram works without problems for me so why change?

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by dfioc
    Wrong guess. You're an idiot too.
    Aww. I hit a nerve didn't I? Poor kid. Such thin skin for the internet. Can't handle being wrong AND a tool at the same time...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneyes
    I wonder if the guy that is saying that Wipperman chains has read any reviews on this website. They aren't very good.
    You assume there are more than a handful of people on this site intelligent enough to write an unbiased review. Nearly every review I've read on this site is written by a moron with a chip on their shoulder. That includes the good ones.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,015
    My results, indicate that the Wippermann is more costly (life cycle) than the Shimano and does not shift has smoothly.

    I have yet to break a chain, but I am an old guy and am able shift smoothly...

  34. #34
    wyrd bi ful rd
    Reputation: chinaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneyes
    ... I used Shimano XTR dura ace chains for many years. They are good but as it was said before, a chain tool has to be used to break the chain. So you are limited as far as cleaning your drivetrain because of the pins you have to replace.
    I am using the SRAM power link on my HG73, just so that I can take the chains off to clean all the gunk out. Might want to try that to see if it works with the XTR.

    I have to admit that so far I have yet to get my SRAM 991 chain to shift smoothly on my nicolai which uses the full length housing. I need to shift 2 up (towards a smaller cog; am using low normal derailleurs) before the chain will move then shift 1 down just to shift up 1 gear ... if you know what I mean. I am not sure if it is the housing or the chain or just me unable to set it correctly ... but i have done so for my other bike and so i do not think it is my inadequacy.

    For my yeti which uses the same derailleur and shimano chain, with housing stops on the seat stays, gear shifting is smooth as a chicks bottom.
    Last edited by chinaman; 11-28-2007 at 01:40 PM.

  35. #35
    Quack Attack
    Reputation: dfioc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Aww. I hit a nerve didn't I? Poor kid. Such thin skin for the internet. Can't handle being wrong AND a tool at the same time...



    You assume there are more than a handful of people on this site intelligent enough to write an unbiased review. Nearly every review I've read on this site is written by a moron with a chip on their shoulder. That includes the good ones.
    No, actually I find what you write quite funny and entertaining. I was just making an observation. Have a nice day.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

  36. #36
    brainwashed jingoist
    Reputation: man-bites-dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    76
    Another vote for SRAM powerlink.
    Love is the answer - but while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty interesting questions.

  37. #37
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by dfioc
    No, actually I find what you write quite funny and entertaining. I was just making an observation. Have a nice day.
    The ever-present explanation of someone who got their panties all bunched up over what is said on the intarweb. It's ok, really. Just take a deep breath and light up another pipe.

  38. #38
    wants a taco
    Reputation: nubcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    The ever-present explanation of someone who got their panties all bunched up over what is said on the intarweb. It's ok, really. Just take a deep breath and light up another pipe.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Nevermind......I hate for that to be my first post.
    Last edited by JTC7; 11-28-2007 at 12:21 PM.

  40. #40
    Ancient Winged Rider
    Reputation: Dragoneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    312
    I guess you know more than anyone else on this website , so please enlighten me on how you have come to that conclusion. I'm not trying to pick a fight but to say everyone that posts a review is a moron, I take offense to that because I did write a few reviews. I think this site is one of the few places that you can hear it from real people not the ones that get paid for it.
    By the way, almost all of the reviews said that Wipperman's didn't hold up well and were way over priced. I never used them, but If people from all over say they aren't worth it I think they might be right. Knowledge is a terrible thing to waste.........

  41. #41
    College Boy
    Reputation: Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneyes
    I guess you know more than anyone else on this website , so please enlighten me on how you have come to that conclusion. I'm not trying to pick a fight but to say everyone that posts a review is a moron, I take offense to that because I did write a few reviews. I think this site is one of the few places that you can hear it from real people not the ones that get paid for it.
    By the way, almost all of the reviews said that Wipperman's didn't hold up well and were way over priced. I never used them, but If people from all over say they aren't worth it I think they might be right. Knowledge is a terrible thing to waste.........

    I am guess the guy who keeps diffentding the wipperman has to justifiy blowing twice as much money on the rest of us on a chain. While I not going to argue with the Wipperman is a stronger chain but I will say it is not worth its price. It is not lighter, It does not last 2 times as long so one never makes up the lost cost.

    He bashing the chains most of us use with out any real issues. I snap a shimano chain in the first 40 miles. I going to write that off to the fact my middle chain ring was damaged and the chain had a flaw in it. The SRAM chain I replaced it with the only time it ever come off on me is when the powerlink came apart because I messed up in getting to clamp together. I know I will mash up some kills and really stress the chain. I some times will shift under load and it is still holding up just fine.

    I expect the sram chain to last me another year or so before I will have the miles on it to warrant a replacement and hell chance are I just going to be replacing my rear drivetrain any how.

  42. #42
    Everyone Bleeds!
    Reputation: ArmedMonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    315

    Wtf!!???

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    I am guess the guy who keeps diffentding the wipperman has to justifiy blowing twice as much money on the rest of us on a chain. While I not going to argue with the Wipperman is a stronger chain but I will say it is not worth its price. It is not lighter, It does not last 2 times as long so one never makes up the lost cost.

    He bashing the chains most of us use with out any real issues. I snap a shimano chain in the first 40 miles. I going to write that off to the fact my middle chain ring was damaged and the chain had a flaw in it. The SRAM chain I replaced it with the only time it ever come off on me is when the powerlink came apart because I messed up in getting to clamp together. I know I will mash up some kills and really stress the chain. I some times will shift under load and it is still holding up just fine.

    I expect the sram chain to last me another year or so before I will have the miles on it to warrant a replacement and hell chance are I just going to be replacing my rear drivetrain any how.
    I saw this thread and thought I check it out. After reading through this entire thread, I have to agree with robdamanii regarding unintelligent morons. The above quote proves it without a doubt in my eyes. I recently switched to a Wipperman chain, so far so good, my vote is still up in the air. But Jesus Eff'n Chr**t people! Where the hell did this dude learn the friggin' english language??? If you want to have an intelligent discussion, or a debate, then you really ought to finish Elementary School. Otherwise, you present yourself as an obvious MORON and lose any sense of credibility! After reading that quote above I now have a headache.... Were you f***ing drunk when you wrote that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedMonk
    I saw this thread and thought I check it out.
    I think you meant "I saw this thread and thought I would check it out" Yeah Timeless was a little hard to follow. Point is though, no one is ever grammatically perfect on a forum. I have never seen people get so worked up over such simple conversation. Every topic I have seen robdamanii involved in has been the same way. No need for all the flaming and name calling. To the original topic, I have used Wipperman on the road and vowed to never use them again, so my MTB experience with them is 0, but I have never had any problems with Shimano or SRAM that wouldn't have destroyed any chain.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dgwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedMonk
    I saw this thread and thought I check it out.
    ... thought I would check it out.

  45. #45
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by JTC7
    Every topic I have seen robdamanii involved in has been the same way. No need for all the flaming and name calling.
    You really are new at this, eh?

  46. #46
    New Jersey
    Reputation: f2f4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    119
    Let's just say Rob is QUITE notorious on many other forums as well.

    And we wouldn't have it any other way.

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by f2f4
    Let's just say Rob is QUITE notorious on many other forums as well.

    And we wouldn't have it any other way.
    Bwahahahhaa. Good to see you hanging on here!

  48. #48
    Everyone Bleeds!
    Reputation: ArmedMonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    315

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    " I'd ", will that work?

  49. #49
    College Boy
    Reputation: Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedMonk
    I saw this thread and thought I check it out. After reading through this entire thread, I have to agree with robdamanii regarding unintelligent morons. The above quote proves it without a doubt in my eyes. I recently switched to a Wipperman chain, so far so good, my vote is still up in the air. But Jesus Eff'n Chr**t people! Where the hell did this dude learn the friggin' english language??? If you want to have an intelligent discussion, or a debate, then you really ought to finish Elementary School. Otherwise, you present yourself as an obvious MORON and lose any sense of credibility! After reading that quote above I now have a headache.... Were you f***ing drunk when you wrote that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no it was about 3 in the morning when I wrote that and was running off very little sleep for the past week because of class and I was about to crawl into bed.

    I more than likely should of read though it but I was pretty tired and my dyslexia is by far worse when I am in that condition. Now you can go on insulting some one with a disability be my guess.

  50. #50
    Ultimated Outsider
    Reputation: sundowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    562
    I use the shimano XTR chains for many years with no problems. I use a Park Cyclone chain cleaning tool to clean it so I dont have to break the chain and I change my chains every six month.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: konut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,477
    why do people take there chains of to clean them chain baths are good.

    and on average if you changege your chain twice a year you only need to change your cogset and front rings once a year.

    and i have usually run hg-93 was going for a wipperman but the price put me of to so went with cn-7701.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •