Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

chain recommendations

I am upgrading my drivetrain to LX hollowtech crankset, X9 shift-der, and PG-990 cassette. Would appreciate chain recommendations . . .durability and shifting performance are primary concerns, weight a distant third.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i use a mixture of sram and shimano on my drive train. i run a Holzfeller crank, XT front de., sram pg-970 cassette, Shadow XT rear de, with sram pc-991 chain. works beautifully. i would stick to the sram chains myself, because i've had the least amount of trouble with them, but i'm sure the shimano chains are probably just as reliable. i've also used a KMC 9-spd chain, but it was worthless. it would get hung up in the XT rear de, and wouldnt roll worth a damn, and as soon as i went back to sram chains my troubles were solved.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    check out jenson's shimano cn-7701

mtbr member
    I like to use the sram powerlink for easy off the bike cleaning - it looks like that will work with the 7701 as well . . .

Quack Attack
    I have XTR on both of my bikes but run Sram 991 hollow-pin chains and have had great results. Lightweight and strong.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use SRAM chains. Although its not advised to use a chainbreaker on them, if you do break it then put a powerlink in. If you do use a chainbreaker on a SRAM chain then you will end up with a very stiff link, and it will be the weakest point in the chain.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Does anyone notice that on an SRAM chain PC991, the outer link is actually thicker than a HG93. The actual width of the chain is also thicker. Quite happy with both and have not had any problems, but I do clean my chain and oil them quite often. If I do not have time to clean the whole bike, I will still clean my drive train just so it is ready for the next ride.

EDR
    I use the 7701, never had an issue. Once, last year, I bought a cheaper Shimano chain, I can't remember if it was a HG53 or 73 or whatever. My point is I went up north (AZ) to the mountains and it rained while I was there. Despite keeping my bike under a tarp the chain completely rusted in that short time. The XTR chains are more corrosion resistant than the cheaper chains. (and yes, I use a sram powerlink on them, no problem)

banned
    Sep 2005
    Wipperman. Beats shimano and SRAM hands down.

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    it may beat them hands down but it also cost like 2 or more times as much and to me that extra cost is not worth it.

mtbr member
    Beats them in shifting, durability, or weight?

Former Bike Wrench

Durability yes, but not elsewhere

Durability...the 9x1 certainly does beat Shimano and SRAM

Shifting...the Shimano CN7701 is far superior to the Wipperman

I've owned both and I have found the Shimano a far superior shifting chain that is quite durable and can be had at half the price (or less).

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    it may beat them hands down but it also cost like 2 or more times as much and to me that extra cost is not worth it.
    Bull.

$40 once a year is a lot better than repairing a SRAM or Shimano 8 or 9 times a season.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Durability...the 9x1 certainly does beat Shimano and SRAM

Shifting...the Shimano CN7701 is far superior to the Wipperman

I've owned both and I have found the Shimano a far superior shifting chain that is quite durable and can be had at half the price (or less).
    I've busted every level of Shimano chain way too many times. SRAM chains wear out too fast. Shifting is no better with the Shimano chain than the Wipperman.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I do like the shimano chains...except for the lack of quick link. Breaking chains on a regualr basis to clean them has a drastic impact on long term durability. I used ot sweat by what are now sram chains when they were sedis...but I have broken too many sram chains. Side plates torn in half = never use them again.

For my $, when all is figured, whipperman wins. They are expensive, but just buy a couple when they go on sale. They have FAR outlasted others based on chain-stretch (which = longer lasting entire drivetrain...), and I have never had a failure with a whipperman.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    I do like the shimano chains...except for the lack of quick link. Breaking chains on a regualr basis to clean them has a drastic impact on long term durability. I used ot sweat by what are now sram chains when they were sedis...but I have broken too many sram chains. Side plates torn in half = never use them again..
    Looking at other posts, I think plenty of people are using the Powerlink with Shimano chains, with no problems. The Wipperman also has a quick link.

College Boy
    Bull.

$40 once a year is a lot better than repairing a SRAM or Shimano 8 or 9 times a season.

I've busted every level of Shimano chain way too many times. SRAM chains wear out too fast. Shifting is no better with the Shimano chain than the Wipperman.
    Umm I going off MSRP Wip $80 Sram and Shimano around $40. Only thing I really have read is the Wipper last 1.5-2 times longer just not worth the cost to me.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Umm I going off MSRP Wip $80 Sram and Shimano around $40. Only thing I really have read is the Wipper last 1.5-2 times longer just not worth the cost to me.
    Buying anything at MSRP is stupid. It's easy to find Wipperman chains for $30-$40 online.

mud slinger
    been running a pc 991 sram for a while,just picked up a gold wipperman chain with powerlink,must say i am liking it alot,not a bad chain at all
    [SIZE="2"]"do the things you fear and the death of fear is certain"[/SIZE]

College Boy
    Buying anything at MSRP is stupid. It's easy to find Wipperman chains for $30-$40 online.
    but at the same time it is a good number to pull for comparing prices because you can find sram and Shimano at 1/2 those prices. It is not that hard. Point stands Wipperman cost normally 2 times as much as the SRAM Shimano versions

banned
    Sep 2005
    but at the same time it is a good number to pull for comparing prices because you can find sram and Shimano at 1/2 those prices. It is not that hard. Point stands Wipperman cost normally 2 times as much as the SRAM Shimano versions
    Correct. If they cost twice as much but you only have to replace them 1/3 as frequently, you save money.

College Boy
    Correct. If they cost twice as much but you only have to replace them 1/3 as frequently, you save money.

umm do the math. I said the life they seem to get is 1.5-2 times that of a sram Shimano chain.

That means you have to replace them some where between some where more than 1/2 has often. That translate into more $$$

mtbr member
    The lowest price I find for the CN7701 is $22.00.

There are several Wipperman 9 speed chains ranging from $40.00 to $80.00.
    The 9X1 is $55.00 at Speedgoat.

I think I'll go with the Shimano. If it stretches prematurely, I'll spend the extra bucks on a
    9X1 next time. I'm pretty light, and there are not huge climbs here where I do 80% of my riding.

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    you'll like it, I have tried the wippermanns,but they are just too expensive compared to the shimano's for me.

banned
    Sep 2005
    umm do the math. I said the life they seem to get is 1.5-2 times that of a sram Shimano chain.

That means you have to replace them some where between some where more than 1/2 has often. That translate into more $$$
    You're not taking into account that SRAM and Shimano chains are weak pieces of sh!t and break, twist and generally fall apart quickly. You get what you pay for, and for a chain, that ISN'T SRAM or Shimano.

Quack Attack
    You're not taking into account that SRAM and Shimano chains are weak pieces of sh!t and break, twist and generally fall apart quickly. You get what you pay for, and for a chain, that ISN'T SRAM or Shimano.
    Gee, that's not a generalization. I've used SRAM and Shimano chains for years without problems. Either you're the unluckiest rider here, you're abusing them or you're a liar.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast