mtbr member

chain problem and a question about hangers

Okay, so the weather is gonna suck for the next week and I'm bored. I decided I'd take the time to clean and adjust my bike to keep the boredom at bay. Today, I was trying to take my chain off to really clean it well along with my derailleur and pulleys...and the pin wouldn't come out. I'm using a general Deore HG53 chain. I line up my chain tool to pop the pin out and the first few twists feel normal, and then I can't get the pin any further. My question is, for this chain is there a special pin that I have to use to break the chain? And just to make sure I'm not going insane I took the chain off my road bike without any problems.

Second question, I bent my hanger on my Haro ICS 4.0, closest bike shop is quite a drive away so are there any good hanger online stores?

mtbr member
    are you sure you are using the right slot in your chain tool (the outermost slot)?

http://www.derailleurhanger.com/

mtbr member
    thanks for the link, and yeah, the slot fits the chain so that's not the problem. The pin comes out maybe a mm right now and then it becomes too hard to push any further.

...idios...
    Too hard as in it just won't budge, or are you possibly being over-cautious? Sometimes they'll need a fair amount of effort to 'snap' out...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    caution isn't something I usually exercise. The chain is nearing the point where it should be replaced anyway so I'm not too worried about hurting it. It's to the point where I can't budge it, even attaching something to the handle to get some more leverage

mtbr member
    find another link, lube liberally and try again. if the pin gets stuck again, try twisting the chain to free the pin. i'm speculating that the pin mushrooms against the driver pin and it gets wedged pretty hard.

...idios...
    "caution isn't something I usually exercise."

I had to ask!! How is it on other links? ('scuse the 'double', I was writing as flipnidaho was posting)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "caution isn't something I usually exercise."

I had to ask!! How is it on other links? ('scuse the 'double', I was writing as flipnidaho was posting)

lol. I just lubed up a link liberally and I'm gonna see how that turns out. Thanks for all the help

mtbr member
    after trying another pin it does appear that the driver pin is mushrooming the pin...I tried twisting the chain (do you mean horizontally, vertically, or circularly?) and still no luck. It's not a huge problem right now, and I'm fairly certain any riding (edit) errors right now are more user operator than having a dirty chain
    Last edited by MysteriousWind; 04-09-2007 at 06:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    When it doubt....beat it to death with a hammer.

mtbr member
    ok, well it's finally over so I might as well let everyone know what not to do. For the Deore chain there is one end pin. It looks just like every single other pin but it's all gray. Yeah, I guessed that there would've been a "master" pin that I had to push but I was being stubborn. I finally looked up the repair manual thing on Shimano's website and realized what I was looking for. It took me about 5 minutes of spinning the chain to find it because my chain was so messy and dirty.

Anyway, just tossed a SRAM chain on with the power link (spent quite a while figuring out how the hell to use it, but now it's so easy) and am lovin it.