mtbr member
    Feb 2007

chain problem...

whenever I try to use my smallest chainring in the front, my chain just keeps going around it a second time, (instead of heading to the rear derailer) to where the whole small chainring is covered by the chain so then I have to back pedal and try to go forward again, it especially seems to happen while going up-hill/under pressure. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is called "chain suck" -- i.e. the chain gets "sucked up" by the chainrings. You can find a lot more information on this by doing searches for "chain suck." It can easily be caused by wear on the chainrings (are they old?) but it can also happen with new rings due to a lot of seemingly minor factors with any given bike -- i.e. some people have it, others don't.

Just to give you the short version of my personal experiences with chain suck, I found that the brand of chainrings I used greatly effected this issue. I found that Raceface "Race" or "Team" (same rings, just different color) provide by far the least chain suck, and they shift as well as if not better than any other rings I tried, which included Shimano XT, Blackspire, as well as one or two others.

Larry
    Last edited by lalittle; 06-12-2007 at 02:23 AM.

Cheezy Rider
    No matter how good your rings are, you're still likely to get chainsuck if you shift to the little ring while the the chain is under tension. Try to anticipate such shifts and perform them before you're pressing hard on the pedals. As lalittle says, lots of factors can contribute to this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If the chain suck is caused by your small chain ring being worn out, a temporary solution is to install it at 90 degree angle from the original position. No need to take off the crank or the chain ring, just remove the 4 bolts, turn the cog 90 degree(either direction) and bolt it back to the crank.