mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Chain Overlap in Granny Gear

On my Giant NRS I get chain overlap on front chainring while pedaling uphill in my
    granny gear only no matter what gear used in rear cassette. My LBS is suggesting a
    new rear wheel and freehub. Any other ideas less expensive? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Please be more specific. What do you mean by chain overlap? Never heard that phrase used before. Is the chain sticking and running over itself? Not sure how a new rear wheel & freehub would matter unless the hub keeps going after you stop pedaling. Not sure how the rear rim would make a difference unless it's badly warped. Ask your lbs to explain why each might cause your problem.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Cowgar
    On my Giant NRS I get chain overlap on front chainring while pedaling uphill in my
    granny gear only no matter what gear used in rear cassette. My LBS is suggesting a
    Find a good ruler or tape measure and measure your chain. Measure between one edge of a pin to the same edge of a pin about 12" away. If it's over 12 1/16" between them replace your chainrings and cassette. Otherwise, post back and tell what the measurement is. Your LBS "fix" sounds whacked.

Monte

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Please be more specific. What do you mean by chain overlap? Never heard that phrase used before. Is the chain sticking and running over itself? Not sure how a new rear wheel & freehub would matter unless the hub keeps going after you stop pedaling. Not sure how the rear rim would make a difference unless it's badly warped. Ask your lbs to explain why each might cause your problem.

The overlap is the chain folding over itself on the top of the granny gear chainring. This
    problem still existed after replacing chain. When the chain folds on top of itself the rear
    derailler pulley wheels are pulled up so that they are parallel with the rear chainstay.
    When this happens and I quit pedalling the rear derailler snaps back to its normal
    position retreiving overlap slack. What do ya think? Appreciate your help.

The overlap is the chain folding over itself on the top of the granny gear chainring.

Are you sure this is what is happening? Not likely, if at all possible; more likely, if it's the chainring at all, happening at the bottom of the chainring, a form of chainsuck. Could be caused by worn ring since you replaced the chain, or if you're running your chain underlubed or very dirty. Does this happen in a particular gear combo? Could be a problem, if you were not pedaling, from your freehub mechanism binding. If it's a Shimano freehub it's easily replaced without replacing the entire wheel. Don't really see this as a cassette or other problem with the wheel in any case.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

I meant to do that
    Yeah, sounds like what was happening to me: Chainsuck with new chain

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    KM-

I feel your pain brotha. My advice would be to forget about the Giant and get a new more capable ride. Might I suggest a Titus Motolite? I know it's a bit pricey, but MBA says it's the Cat's Pajamas.

See you at Poto dude,

Playa
    (aka Braxton)
    (aka Hanz)
    (aka Mustafa)

MT rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Cowgar
    I think it could be either chainline or chain length, can't think of anything else.

Meh.
    Try taking a an inch or two out of your chain and see if that helps. It could also be attributed to a damaged or worn out ring.