mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Chain lube question -- lube internals only?

The instructions for the lubes I have used say to wipe the chain clean after applying.

Does this mean that the goal is to lube the internals of the chain only? Are the teeth and rollers supposed to have no lube?

Thanks.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    The instructions for the lubes I have used say to wipe the chain clean after applying.

Does this mean that the goal is to lube the internals of the chain only? Are the teeth and rollers supposed to have no lube?

Thanks.
    basically, yup... the inner parts are what resist and wear .. external lube just attracts dirt
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The rollers ARE the internal parts of the chain you are lubing. It's the side plates that don't need lube. I brush the chain off, then put a tiny drop of lube on each roller. Rotate the cranks a few times and then wipe off.

mtbr member
    ^ this

mtbr member
    It's not so much the contact point of the chain/teeth that you want to lube, it is the interface of the roller, pin ,and plate of the chain, so that as the roller touches the tooth and rotates, it is lubed internally. Some lube however will remain on the outside to prevent oxidation and help the chain/tooth contact.
    Disclaimer:I work in a Bike Shop.http://www.northcentralcyclery.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How much oil does the chain-teeth contact point need? I prefer to have it well lubed and quiet, but as already mentioned, it attracts dirt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I asked a serious roadie friend about this. He has been testing various lubes for years. He uses a dry lube. He says that even though you wipe it off, a small amount seeps from the internals to the outside of the rollers -- he can feel the difference whenit is past time to lube and this seepage stops happening. But he agrees that lube on the outside of the rollers is not that important.