Expert Crasher

Chain line question

I recently taco'd the front rim on my K2 and through great K2 customer service, am getting a replacement wheel at a very reduced cost.

Anyway - because I'm unskilled at the AM/trail thing still, I also decided to upgrade to some burly Mavic XM321s.

My plan is to throw on some Spec'd 1.95 Armadillo tires on the OEM Sun DS2+XCs and install my WTB ExiWolfs on the Mavic rims. I bought two more rotors and a SRAM PG991 rear cassette for the new Mavic. Endstate I'll have the Suns with 1.95 tires and the OEM SRAM PG950 cassette for road rides and the Mavics with the PG991 for trail rides.

My goal was quick swaps (bought Hope skewers for my new Mavic's as well). Will I have an issue with the chain line by swapping rear wheels? My SRAM X-9 rear D shifts so well - it's robotic like, just quick, mechanical shifts and I don't want to screw anything up.

I don't know much about chain line or other impacts of what I want to do.

I did buy one of the Nashbar steel MTB frames and will eventually build that with the Sun rims and Spec'd tires leaving the Mavics and PG991 so this may only be a 3-4 month period where I swap wheel sets.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Currently un-unemployed

No chainline problems

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    I recently taco'd the front rim on my K2 and through great K2 customer service, am getting a replacement wheel at a very reduced cost.

Anyway - because I'm unskilled at the AM/trail thing still, I also decided to upgrade to some burly Mavic XM321s.

My plan is to throw on some Spec'd 1.95 Armadillo tires on the OEM Sun DS2+XCs and install my WTB ExiWolfs on the Mavic rims. I bought two more rotors and a SRAM PG991 rear cassette for the new Mavic. Endstate I'll have the Suns with 1.95 tires and the OEM SRAM PG950 cassette for road rides and the Mavics with the PG991 for trail rides.

My goal was quick swaps (bought Hope skewers for my new Mavic's as well). Will I have an issue with the chain line by swapping rear wheels? My SRAM X-9 rear D shifts so well - it's robotic like, just quick, mechanical shifts and I don't want to screw anything up.

I don't know much about chain line or other impacts of what I want to do.

I did buy one of the Nashbar steel MTB frames and will eventually build that with the Sun rims and Spec'd tires leaving the Mavics and PG991 so this may only be a 3-4 month period where I swap wheel sets.
    A chainline problem is defined as a much bigger deviation from acceptable tolerances of the whole drivetrain.

You might have to fine tune your shifting adjustment via cable tension, and sometimes slight adjustment of the limit screws. Most of the time it's a minimal adjustment. You might run into more trouble with the brakes; adjustment of the caliper may be needed everytime you swap wheels, but it depends.

-Ryan

Expert Crasher
    Ryan - good points. thanks. Didn't think of the brakes but I suppose there could be some deviation between the Shimano M475 hubs on my Sun rims and the M575 I got with the Mavics.

Can I find the steps to adjust cable tension on Sheldon Brown's site?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Currently un-unemployed

I like Park's repair help section a little better

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Ryan - good points. thanks. Didn't think of the brakes but I suppose there could be some deviation between the Shimano M475 hubs on my Sun rims and the M575 I got with the Mavics.

Can I find the steps to adjust cable tension on Sheldon Brown's site?
    More pictures.

Expert Crasher
    thanks.

I found instructions for adjusting the brakes - sounds easy enough.

Expert Crasher
    I got all my stuff the past two days - so this afternoon, my LBS installed the SRAM PG990 (for free too!) and I put the new rotors on the Mavic rims/Shimano 575 hubs. Front wheel required minor brake caliper adjustment - the rear was dead on - no tweak needed. Did not have to adjust the rear derailluer either - it shifts crisp and clean, I ran it through several times before hopping on and trying it as well.

Looks like at least the rear wheel swap will be a 30 second job. Front will take a few minutes due to the brake adjust ment.