Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New question here. Chain-L oil !!!!

does any body ever used this chain lubricant ... no 5 chain-l ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What does it smell like?
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    don t know ... i would like too see if some one already use it before i buy it !!!!

Old man on a bike
    At first I thought it was a joke product, but after reading the stuff on their website it sounds very interesting. I'm just about to re stock my lube, just might try this stuff...and the one California shop is relatively close! How much is the typical retail cost?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i'm from canada and it cost me 12$ including shipping ... so it is interesting ... !!!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    At first I thought it was a joke product, but after reading the stuff on their website it sounds very interesting. I'm just about to re stock my lube, just might try this stuff...and the one California shop is relatively close! How much is the typical retail cost?
    They have an interesting sales pitch but chains do not have bearings. It could also be argued that the load bearing (different meaning) surfaces of a chain are much larger than those of the BB bearings, not the other way around.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    They have an interesting sales pitch but chains do not have bearings. It could also be argued that the load bearing (different meaning) surfaces of a chain are much larger than those of the BB bearings, not the other way around.
    So they don't have any magic formula for a lubricant that works better on the load bearing surfaces in a roller chain? Edjucamate us, Don.
    suum quique

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    So they don't have any magic formula for a lubricant that works better on the load bearing surfaces in a roller chain? Edjucamate us, Don.
    I do not know if they do or not. Just that if they think a roller chain has "bearings" what else does that say about their claims and research processes.

Chain-L does mention extreme pressure (EP) lubes but do not explain why it helps.

I have seen other lube companies talk about EP chain oil performance as related to high pressure spot loads and lube shear resistance. The key being the lube does not get completely squeezed from between the surfaces to reduce wear from metal to metal contact. Chain-L claims their lube flows back in again after it has been pushed out, not that it stays where - and when - it does the most good.
    mtbtires.com

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I have to agree with Shiggy, sounds like a bunch of crap. Theres a study out that measured the friction & drag of a bicycling chain ( in a lab) with various types of lube and with no lube, guess what ? no difference, no extra friction, no extra heat, no drag, the conclusion reached was the main benefit of lubes was to fill the voids inside the chain so that water & dirt didn't get in . A major cause of chain wear isn't metal on metal its dirt, and dirt mixed with oil makes a fine abrasive. Read their instructions, they recommend soaking you chain for 10 mins. then lightly wipe off but leave a film, of their own words" sticky oil that will attract dirt", they go on to state that the dirt will eventually soak up the excess oil and flake off, and that even though their oil is solvent based its better for the environment than other oils and will get eaten up by enzymes in the soil and since you don't have to apply it as often. So, if you don't apply it as often I guess that means you don't clean your chain as often? so what happens to the dirt that mixes with the sticky oil and gets into the chain? grind, grind, grind

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It's always interesting when folks who've never seen a product feel free to pan it.

Truth in advertizing - I'm the maker of chain-L- so feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt, but I'd like to correct some factual errors, and in the interest of fairness in future posts make an offer to the folks who read this.

First two corrections -
    1-to the comment that chains don't have bearings, I suggest searching "plain bearing" in wikipedia or any other reference, then looking at the flexible the pin and link structure of a chain.
    2- I'd be interested in seeing the study of chain friction, but need to clarify that we don't lubricate chains to reduce power loss, which is negligible in any case, but rather to prevent chain wear. (As to the conclusions, they might vary depending on the load during the test, and the viscosity of the lubricant. At low loads the power loss to to viscous drag of a heavy oil might exceed the frictional drag. But at higher loads the friction is proportionately higher while the viscous drag remains constant, so at higher loads the effects of lubrication would become more significant.)

I'm not interested in starting a flame war and don't expect to sell Chain-L through hype, nor do I wish to convert folks who've already decide what they like, but I do wish to point out that chain-L gets generally good reviews from folks who've actually used it.

The offer, believing that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, I'm offering to mail a free sample of chain-L #5 to the first 50 open minded readers, with the only condition being that they promise to try it and email me their honest opinions about it.

visit the chain-L.com site and leave me an email if interested. francis

Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    It's always interesting when folks who've never seen a product feel free to pan it.

Truth in advertizing - I'm the maker of chain-L- so feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt, but I'd like to correct some factual errors, and in the interest of fairness in future posts make an offer to the folks who read this.

First two corrections -
    1-to the comment that chains don't have bearings, I suggest searching "plain bearing" in wikipedia or any other reference, then looking at the flexible the pin and link structure of a chain.
    2- I'd be interested in seeing the study of chain friction, but need to clarify that we don't lubricate chains to reduce power loss, which is negligible in any case, but rather to prevent chain wear. (As to the conclusions, they might vary depending on the load during the test, and the viscosity of the lubricant. At low loads the power loss to to viscous drag of a heavy oil might exceed the frictional drag. But at higher loads the friction is proportionately higher while the viscous drag remains constant, so at higher loads the effects of lubrication would become more significant.)

I'm not interested in starting a flame war and don't expect to sell Chain-L through hype, nor do I wish to convert folks who've already decide what they like, but I do wish to point out that chain-L gets generally good reviews from folks who've actually used it.

The offer, believing that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, I'm offering to mail a free sample of chain-L #5 to the first 50 open minded readers, with the only condition being that they promise to try it and email me their honest opinions about it.

First, thanks for posting and i wish you well.

Second, the reference to chains having bearings was in comparing them to BB bearings. It is an apples to oranges comparison. Plain bearings (AKA bushings) are very different and have different pros and cons vs the ball bearings in BBs. The lubrication needs are also not directly comparable.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

First two corrections -

Just want to say that i just received my bottle of chain-l this week and it seam to be good ... a bit heavy so it will stay in the chain ... i try my bike yesterday on 60 miles run and everything work fine ... give the sample bottle to my father (they run 75 miles everyday) so he gonna tell me more in couple of weeks ...

mtbr member
    May 2004

Amused by the name

I give them credit for marketing. I would have never come up with connecting a globally known parfume to lube, but it's amusing. Maybe it has a nice fragrance to it. Worth trying since they have a sense of humor. I've bought so many different lubes, one more won't break the bank. In the end I'll probably go back to my home brew lube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This seems like the perfect lubricant for my commuting in the cold Syracuse (lots of wet salty snowy icy roads) winter. I usually use a wax lubricant like Squirt but it reacts badly to salt. Ill pick up a bottle and report how it fairs in a few months.

Old man on a bike
    Got my free sample from Francis in today's mail...will take a while for a test report, though.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been using Militec-1 oil for quite some time with very good results. http://www.militec1.com/index.html

Here's an interesting article: http://www.militec1.com/lumberjack.html

I don't know if they are still doing it, but last time I heard, you can email them and ask for a sample. I got my sample about a year ago which included militec-1 grease and militec-1 oil.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

Never trust a fart
    I sent and email to him. Gonna try out the chain lube myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    http://www.jhu.edu/news_info/news/ho...ug99/bike.html That study is simply power loss through the chain system not a study on how long the chain will last.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Absolutely right. The amount of power loss in chain drives is very low under any circumstance.

This study is almost 10 years old and may also suffer from flawed methodology, though without seeing the entire report it's impossible to tell.

One thing that bothers me is their conclusion that chainwheel size is significant. The press report presents this as if it were a surprise, and if so I'm extremely disappointed. Chain drives are 100years old and highly researched. Any manual on their design or use would clearly state that larger sprockets are desirable for greater efficiency. If these folks weren't aware of this going in, it indicates sloppy preparation for their study and might imply other errors as well.

Regardless of this study, real world experience with bicycles demonstrates tremendous variation in chain life, with lubrication definitely being a factor, along with terain, speed, chain width and gear selection among others.

I managed a customer service center for one of the major component makers for a number of years and can tell you that when 10s came out chain life complaints went through the roof. and two predictors of short life were lubrication (both type and follow through or maintainance) and terrain. Rarely did folks in the plains states have issues, with highest number of complaints coming from those riding in the rolling terain of the northeast.

BTW- there are still openings in my offer of free test samples of Chain-L #5, if anyone's interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So let's go folk a free sample ... try it and you will see how thus oil is effective
    Absolutely right. The amount of power loss in chain drives is very low under any circumstance.

This study is almost 10 years old and may also suffer from flawed methodology, though without seeing the entire report it's impossible to tell.

One thing that bothers me is their conclusion that chainwheel size is significant. The press report presents this as if it were a surprise, and if so I'm extremely disappointed. Chain drives are 100years old and highly researched. Any manual on their design or use would clearly state that larger sprockets are desirable for greater efficiency. If these folks weren't aware of this going in, it indicates sloppy preparation for their study and might imply other errors as well.

Regardless of this study, real world experience with bicycles demonstrates tremendous variation in chain life, with lubrication definitely being a factor, along with terain, speed, chain width and gear selection among others.

I managed a customer service center for one of the major component makers for a number of years and can tell you that when 10s came out chain life complaints went through the roof. and two predictors of short life were lubrication (both type and follow through or maintainance) and terrain. Rarely did folks in the plains states have issues, with highest number of complaints coming from those riding in the rolling terain of the northeast.

BTW- there are still openings in my offer of free test samples of Chain-L #5, if anyone's interested.

mtbr member
    Yes, I asked for a sample, although not sure if they're willing to ship it to Australia.

Tim

Egg Zackly. I am reading a book on the history of the derailleur (and gearing in general). There were studies made in the 1880s that show roller chain power loss was in the 0.5% range. 1990s and early 2000s tests confirmed this. The gear size is less widely reported but many riders (including me) have noticed the difference in use.
    mtbtires.com

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Yes, I asked for a sample, although not sure if they're willing to ship it to Australia.

Tim
    I also did, but I don't think they'll send it even to Mex, I didn't have any response.... yet.

mtbr member
    Francis indicated he would send a sample to Australia.

Tim

mtbr member
    Received my sample today. I cleaned my chain and applied as directed. Its thicker than the other lubes I've been using. My first ride is Weds. night. We'll see.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Received my sample a couple of days ago. It is very thick compared to the other lube I typically use......ProLink. I'm in Phoenix and the trails are VERY dusty. It's going to be interesting seeing how much dust Chain-L picks up. I have to relube with ProLink every 1-2 hrs of ride time, but it picks up the least amount of dust of anything I've tried so far. Planning to relube with Chain-L today and hit the trail. I'll post as to how it works compared to ProLink.

Maromero
    I just got a PM from Francis, he'll send it down to Mex

mtbr member

First Ride Update......

Ok, got in a ride yesterday in dusty Phoenix using Chain-L, and here are my observations. My ride was cut a little short because of a blown sidewall....... And by the way, if you ride rocky trails and are thinking of trying Specialized "The Captain" tires...either the Sworks or Control versions.....DON'T!!! I've gone through 3 in the last dozen rides. All have failed sidewalls. If that tire isn't going to hold up to a few rocks they shouldn't be selling it in this area. Ok, I feel better now....back on topic.

I cleaned my chain, let dry, and applied Chain-L. It's very thick and "stringy". When I turned the cranks there were "strings" of the lube between the chain and the chainring teeth. It kinda got all over the front derailleur and pulleys on the rear derailleur during this process. It was easy to clean off so no big problem. After rotating the cranks a few times, I wiped the chain as dry as possible and went riding.

Using ProLink, I can see a solid coat of dust on my chain after about 10 mins of riding. After an hour or so, I can hear the grind of the chain in certain gears. I only got in about 40 mins worth of riding because of my tire issue, but the chain seemed to be a little cleaner, and certainly no more dusty than using ProLink. When I returned home, I wiped the chain again and all the dust came right off. Once I replace my tire.....again..... .....I'll ride without reapplying lube.

ProLink and Rock n Roll are the only lubes I've been able to use here with any sort of success, so it's going to be interesting to see how Chain-L holds up over time. The first ride, albeit a little short, was promising.

I'll update after the next ride.....and tire.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    I cleaned my chain, let dry, and applied Chain-L. It's very thick and "stringy". When I turned the cranks there were "strings" of the lube between the chain and the chainring teeth. It kinda got all over the front derailleur and pulleys on the rear derailleur during this process. It was easy to clean off so no big problem. After rotating the cranks a few times, I wiped the chain as dry as possible and went riding.

1-New chains should be oiled off the bike by stretching out on newspaper with the rollers up. Oil generously and allow 10 or more minutes to soak in, then wipe chain almost dry leaving a thin film as rust protection. This will do a better job of lubricating and save time on cleanup of the cassette and chainrings. Install and skip to Step 4.

2-Used chains should first be cleaned as well as possible to avoid wicking dirt in. If the chain has a reusable master link, consider cleaning and oiling it off the bike. see no-1

3-On the bike, oil chain in high gear (outer ring and smallest cog) or using a chainkeeper. Chain-L soaks in very slowly, so give it 10 minutes or so. While turning the cranks, wipe excess oil off the chain and derailleur pulleys, leaving only the thinnest film possible. Any excess will only make it messier than it needs to be.

4-Turn the cranks and look carefully for fans of excess oil spinning off the pulleys. There shouldn’t be any. If there are, rewipe the chain and pulleys and repeat until no oil spins off.

5-Change gears and wipe off the outer chainring. Then run the bike through the gears to spread a bit of the oil throughout the cassette.

6-Don’t forget to wipe off any oil that got onto the derailleur, chainstay, etc.

http://chain-l.com/Instructions.html

mtbr member
    stduoo7,

I followed the directions for application. Only problem is I don't have a masterlink, so you have to rotate the cranks slightly to get lube on all the links. When you do this, it strings out. And after letting it soak in for 10 mins, when you begin rotating to wipe the chain, it's a bit messy. That's all I'm saying. I'm not sure how one can rotate the cranks to wipe the chain, without creating a bit of a mess.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=dirthead]Ok, got in a ride yesterday in dusty Phoenix using Chain-L, and here are my observations. My ride was cut a little short because of a blown sidewall....... And by the way, if you ride rocky trails and are thinking of trying Specialized "The Captain" tires...either the Sworks or Control versions.....DON'T!!! I've gone through 3 in the last dozen rides. All have failed sidewalls. If that tire isn't going to hold up to a few rocks they shouldn't be selling it in this area. Ok, I feel better now....back on topic.

are you using the armadillo versions of those tires?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dan0]
    are you using the armadillo versions of those tires?
    No, my local shop did not carry the Armadillo version, only Sworks and Control. That will be my next option though, since I like the tire, other than the durability. If I can find that version I'll try it, otherwise it's on to another tire all together.

mtbr member

Update #2

I was able to get another ride in yesterday with good results! I wiped the chain with a solvent rag after my last ride, to get the dust off, but did not apply any more lube. Hit the trail yesterday afternoon and it was extremely dusty, as usual. The drivetrain was very quiet the entire ride, and there was very little dust pickup on the chain when it was over. With Prolink, I would have had quite a bit of dust buildup, but there was almost none with Chain-L. To be honest, I was very surprised. Seeing how thick and "sticky" it seemed during appication, I honestly thought it would turn my chain into a dust magnet. I've tried lots of lubes and the Chain-L picked up less dust than any I've used so far. I'll continue to wipe and ride without relubing until I can hear the chain.

So far so good in!

Maromero
    Sounds good, since we have down here similar conditions.
    I can't wait to try my free sample

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I was able to get another ride in yesterday with good results! I wiped the chain with a solvent rag after my last ride, to get the dust off, but did not apply any more lube. Hit the trail yesterday afternoon and it was extremely dusty, as usual. The drivetrain was very quiet the entire ride, and there was very little dust pickup on the chain when it was over. With Prolink, I would have had quite a bit of dust buildup, but there was almost none with Chain-L. To be honest, I was very surprised. Seeing how thick and "sticky" it seemed during appication, I honestly thought it would turn my chain into a dust magnet. I've tried lots of lubes and the Chain-L picked up less dust than any I've used so far. I'll continue to wipe and ride without relubing until I can hear the chain.

So far so good in!
    That's interesting, I'm a big fan of ProLink too. I use it on my bikes and my dirtbike but I wonder if Chain-L is worth converting to? Now if I could only find a local distributor her in Cali....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wiped the chain with a solvent rag after my last ride, to get the dust off, but did not apply any more lube.
    Did you also wipe the chain with solvent after every ride when you used Prolink?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Did you also wipe the chain with solvent after every ride when you used Prolink?
    Always wiped it after each ride, but not always with solvent. It didn't seem to make a difference if I used solvent for wiping. The chain always picked up about the same amount of dust. Basically, after an hour riding, you could not see metal on the chain. It had a solid coat of dust. Prolink was the "cleanest" lube I had found. Most others would leave a black sludge on the chain after about 10 minutes of riding, regardless of how well the chain was wiped before the ride. With Chain-L, there was a slight amount of dust but the chain was mostly clean. I was very surprised to see that.

Dirt Deviant
    Got my sample a couple days ago. Got the next 2 days off so I am going to give it a try for sure. I am also a regular Pro Link user.
    I plan on fully degreasing my chain before I apply the Chain L. I will also apply per instructions with the chain off the bike. Go Powerlink!!!!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member

Good job! Update #3

Went for ride #3 on Chain-L Friday afternoon. Just as a reminder, I was only getting 1-1.5 hrs ride time on ProLink because of the severe dust on Phoenix trails. On the first application of Chain-L, I got about 2.5 hrs of ride time before the drivetrain started to sound a little "dry". After 3+ hrs of ride time spread over 3 rides, the chain was in need of relubing, but it was amazingly clean.

So in comparison to ProLink, which has been my lube of choice for 5+ years, I got almost twice the ride time and my chain stayed much cleaner. I never would have predicted that result based on how thick and sticky Chain-L is during application, but those are the results I got.

mtbr member

Impressions

I have ridden with the chain-l for four rides now. Total distance of about 40 miles. Trails have been everything from decomposted granite to the finest clay with a few creek crossings mixed in.

The lube is holding up fine. It looks clean, and hasn't started to talked to me yet. Lasts longer than the Prolink. We will see how it goes when I go to reapply.

So far I'm impressed.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    got my sample today and a full review will come shortly.

mtbr member
    I received my 2 sets of samples yesterday. Thanks for sending them to Australia Francis. I'll clean the chain and put some on tonight and see how it goes after a while. I'll give the other sample set to a firiend to also try.

I'll write a report after a few weeks.

Tim

mtbr member
    Just got done with my first ride with Chain-L. I applied it on my fixed gear this morning and, as most other have been, I was surprised to see how thick it was. To me, it smells and feels like motor oil with a sulfur additive although I think there is more to it than that. I would be interested to know what is really in Chain-L. The fixed gear has a KMC single speed chain that is a semi-new chain with the factory lube. I don't think I have over 15 miles on the chain. I wiped it off with a rag soaked in a degreaser. I took care to apply a little bit at a time to avoid the mess but it was easy to get an even coverage. Once it sat for a few minutes, I stretched and off I went with about a 5 mile ride into town. First thing I noticed was that it was quite (not that fixed gears are loud to begin with). I will say that it's thickness is a factor in it being quite. No dust,mud, or grime on the chain after the ride. It also does not look like it broke down or shot off during the ride. No experience yet offroad but so far so good.

Just a flesh wound

Chainsaw

That's what it sounds like. Chain oil for a chainsaw, very thick and it leaves filaments when in the air when you pedal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the positive reports so far. Chain-L shouldn't leave any trailing filaments when pedaling. If it does, there's too much on the the outside of the chain, and you should wipe off the excess. Remember chains only need lubrication on the inside.

I enjoy reading all the guesses as to what it is. I could give you the formula, but I'd have to charge a hefty price to compensate for the year I put into the testing & tweaking that led to the current blend. Yes, it's a blend of chemicals in an oil base, each of which serves a particular purpose. No, it isn't motor oil, chainsaw oil, or any other pre-existing product simply put into small bottle. Think about tomato sauce - they're all red, have onion, garlic and various spices, but that's where the similarity ends. That's how it is with oils, they're all similar but the devil is in the details.

I think that folks should be more interested in how it performs than what it is. After all, if it lubricates better and holds up longer, it shouldn't matter what it is, even if it's tomato sauce.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i'll like tomato sauce

Slowly but surely...
    I got my sample (Thanks Francis) and have only had the chance to ride it on my commute, which is mostly paved, so take that into consideration. Additionally, it is important to consider that I have only been using dry/wax lubes for the last several years, with White Lightning being one of my faves. The pros so far:
    1. Quite. Really, really quiet. So quiet I could hear other things I need to adjust in my drivetrain (I commute on my F/S MTB right now)
    2. Smooth shifting.
    3. So far, seems to be lasting just fine, which is nice in Nevada's dry and dusty conditions, which are so both on and off-road (remember, my commute is mostly on-road )

The cons:
    1. Ugh, I forgot how messy it can be to apply a wet lube. The last one I used before switching years ago was TriFlow and they had the handy applicator. Something to ease application might help (though with how thick it is, you may have a hard time getting it through one of those tiny straws)
    2. The smell. I park my bike in my office and sometimes in my house. I didn't mind it in my office, but my wife kicked the bike out of the house saying it stunk. That was a first

I'll keep riding it and report back after I get some good trail riding in. So far, I'm on the fence. It's certainly better than the Dumonde Tech crap some shop sold me on when they didn't have White Lightening in stock.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by fmdj
    2. The smell. I park my bike in my office and sometimes in my house. I didn't mind it in my office, but my wife kicked the bike out of the house saying it stunk. That was a first
    Funny, as I was opening the thread I was receiving my free sample, gracias Francis, I couldn't resist to smell it after your comment, sure it doesn't smell Channel No 5, but it doesn't stink, at least in the bottle, still can't comment on the odor already applied on the chain, anyway we'll see and find out what the wife opinion will be.

Ride Responsibly
    I cleaned and lubed my chain, have not ridden yet, BUT YES IT STINKS! I suspect 90w is the main ingredient cause it smells like 90w. I keep my bike in a back room and the whole room stinks!
    Wouldn't that just blow to find a decent lube but not want it because of the smell?
    Last edited by LWright; 12-04-2008 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i got 3 bikes in the basement of my house, all lube with chain-l and no problem with the odor ... no stink ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Francis,
    thanks for the sample... finally got around to trying it on my road bike and xc bike..
    Great stuff, works just as everyone has mentioned...will be ordering some right after the holidays..
    keep up the great work...awesome product....

sincerely,
    Michael

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Received my sample a few weeks back, still haven't had the chance to try it. Yesterday I removed and cleaned my chain, soaked it in citrus degreaser, then in regular degreaser until the chain didn't clouded the solvent no more, rinsed it. Cleaned with a rag until it was like new and left drying overnight, will apply today and give it test. Hope to have feedback by next weekend, not much riding time this week.

mtbr member
    Just got my sample today. Wow, 5 weeks to get to Canada, must have sat at customs for a while. Too bad it`s -25 Celcius outside and we have lots of snow. Might not get to test this stuff until spring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi there i just received a message from francis and i would like to let you know this

Hi- we now have our first (of many I hope) dealer in Canada.

It's Hello Velo www.hellovelo.ca in Toronto. I hope this makes it easier for you when your Chain-L runs out.

Francis
    Good news for canadians bikers ...

happy holliday's

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    Just got my sample today. Wow, 5 weeks to get to Canada, must have sat at customs for a while.
    Hey!! I sent 2 bottles. I guess now the customs guy is using it too.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    I know nothing about customs, but do you suppose they used one for some analysis? Explosives? Drugs? Etc.?
    On another note, I haven't had time to try the oil on my road bike, but I did not clean the chain off well enough after lubing the MTB. I came back with fall forest floor matter all over the chain. I cleaned it off well, and the second time it was either cleaned off well enough or no excess oil was forced out when under load as the chain came home clean that time.

mtbr member

I seriously only got one. That is crazy...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    I seriously only got one. That is crazy...

Oops- The reference about sending two bottles and the customs guy swiping one was a joke. I couldn't resist after reading how long it took for the stuff to get there.

You guys take stuff too seriously, especially since we're talking about free samples.

Note to myself - no more jokes on mtbr unless followed by this
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Never trust a fart
    Still haven't been able to try out my sample yet. Ran into some fork problems. Waiting on fork to be repaired and returned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    First I would like to thank Francis for the samples. I have used it on my 3 bikes. It has been on my single speed commuter for about a month. That bike sees daily use of about 3-5 miles a day. I haven't had to reapply yet and it still runs smooth. I have also used it on my mountain bike is less than ideal conditions. I used it when the trails were wet and there was a light rain. I cleaned and degreased my chain as the instructions recommended and got 2 rides of about 10 miles each before the chain needed another application. I cleaned the chain, reapplied and went for a 15 mile ride in wet conditions and I feel like the chain needs to be relubed. I know this is not what the lube was designed so I will wait to make a judgment for mountain bike use in drier conditions. I have successfully used Chain-L on my road bike and put about 100 miles on it and it is still running smooth and quiet. Over all I am very pleased and would like to thank Francis again for sending out samples.

mtbr member
    a little update:
    the good news is that i have been riding a lot with Chain-L and i couldn't be happier with it's performance on the road. Makes everything so quite and i am confident that it is keeping everything properly lubed. this is the same case on my fixed gear as well.

the bad news is that i have the same exact results as drog. I have been a little let down in the wet performance. i also realize that Chain-L was intended for road applications so i am not expecting much in those conditions. the lube has kept a lot of grim on the chain but i am not to distraught about that. i believe for the winter months that i will be staying with wax like White Lightning as it keeps the chain much cleaner. I could see how in dry conditions, the Chain-L works well. i will be purchasing a new bottle soon. thanks Francis for the trial and i hope my feedback is somewhat helpful.

ending verdict is that this is a really nice road lube and dry weather/ conditions lube. another bottle is on it's way soon.

mtbr member
    Francis sent me a trail sample so I'm upholding my end and posting my results. This is all MTB related - no road biking.

First - my old procedure (for comparison): I wash my bike after every ride unless it's REALLY dry - which is rare here in Louisiana. I scrub the chain with a brush and automotive soap, blow the water out with compressed air, and then relube with Rock-n-Roll Extreme (the yellow one) after each ride. Chain stayed spotless.

For the Chain-L trial, I removed the chain, soaked it in carb cleaner, flushed it with fresh solvent, blew it off with compressed air, and dried it with a heat gun before lubing with Chain-L per the instructions. I got in 3 rides (approx 9 hours total) before the chain needed to be relubed. The rides were a mixture of dry, damp, and wet conditions. During the 3 rides, the chain was silent - much more quiet than with the Rock-n-Roll. Shifting seemed a bit smoother as well although that might have been due to the lack "chain clatter". The Chain-L is so thick that it dampens much of the clatter that I'm used to.

Application is a bit of a pain compared to the Rock-n-Roll. The Chain-L is thick and sticky and gets all over the chainrings, pulleys, and cassette cog and must be wiped off before hitting the trail. After the first ride, the chain had picked up a load of crap, but a wipe down with a rag took that off leaving a still very well lubed and somewhat clean chain. Dirt pickup was minimal on the second and thrid rides. After washing, the chain did come clean but not as clean as when I was using the RnR.

So, for me, in summary:
    RnR is cleaner, easier to apply, but only lasts one ride.
    Chain-L picks up a ton of dirt on the first ride that must be wiped off, is a pain (IMO) to apply (due to the thick stickiness and need to wipe up the excess), but lasts 3 times as long and results in a more quiet drivetrain.

The conclusion is that I have to decide if the added rigamarole is worth the superior performance that Chain-L delivers.

mtbr member
    I put Chain-l on my bike a couple weeks ago, a couple days ago I brought my bike in the house to mount my new shock and seat, I walked away from the bike and when I came back, my daughters Jack Russell was going to town licking the Chain-l off my chain! It was bizarre how excited the dog was, she loves Chain-l! I kept pushing the dog away and everytime I walked away the dog would run over to lick the chain again.
    I have the bike stored in my guest room and any time the door gets left open that damn dog runs in for another fix of Chain-l, if it doesnt do well as a chain lube they could always sell it as a doggie treat! Anyone else have issues with dogs eating their Chain-l lubed chain?

Maromero
    So I received my free trial sample 4 weeks ago, using it on a 3 months old KMC X10-SL
    chain, Myhticcarbon crankset with 44-32-22 Extralite Octaramps and Recon 11-32 Ti cassette, XTR 970 RD.
    Started with cleaning of the previous lub with degreaser and high pressure water, dryed at room temp (about 28° C) with a fan, apllied Chain-L with the chain installed, link by link. It's a really thick lube, looks like honey, so it takes a bit of time to apply it.
    Wiped out the excess oil 12 hours after aplication.
    After 6 rides (240 k), there is still no need to re-apply, the chain is still running silent, no changes in shifting.
    The rides have been in dry terrain, ranging from pavement to get to trailhead, dirtroads, singletrack with loose over hardpack and some sand patches.
    After the first ride (15 k) there was a lot of dirt built on the chain and jockey wheels, so, I cleaned the chain with a rag and jockey wheels with a brush, without lubing again.
    No build up after first cleaning.
    I was using before Finish Line Cross country, I had to clean an relube after 2 rides, because the chain would start to scream asking for lube and delaying shifting.
    Odor, as I posted before is not a problem here, and my Lab retriever has been around my Chain-L'ed bike without licking any part of it.
    Still waiting to go to a trail with some stream crossing to test it in wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by doccoraje; 01-02-2009 at 06:16 AM.

mtbr member
    I have been using Chain-l for about a month now on 3 bikes. Two get ridden mostly on the road and the other on the trails. It has been mostly dry here (SE Australia) in that time, with only a few days of rain. Two bikes have done about 250 miles while the other one about ˝ of that.

I applied this to chains already on the bike, cleaned them using wd-40 to get rid of the existing dirt and then let it dry before applying the lubricant. I found the lube to be difficult to apply sparingly from the demo bottle as it is so thick. It certainly leaves a lot of thin oil fans after the applications. I left it over night to let the lube get into the chain pins and then wiped off what was left on the outside of the chain.

So far the single application has kept the chain quiet and relatively clean. I have occasionally wiped dirt off the chain, but suspect this is more for looks than practicality. As mentioned on the site it doesn’t seem to keep collecting dirt. Compared to other lubes, such as tri-flow and a home-made mix of synthetic motor oil and thinners, it seems to last at least twice as long before getting noisy. I think I have only ridden once after rain and it handled this well: no complaints from the chain in terms of shifting and it remained quiet. So far my labrador has not shown any interest in licking the chain.

As I was given additional demo bottles I’ve given some to two friends. So far their experience mirrors mine, with it outlasting their previous lube. If it has a better way of applying it sparingly I would strongly recommend it to my friends. I put mine into an empty tri-flow bottle and found it much easier to apply.

Thanks for the opportunity to try it.

Tim

Maromero
    I finally got to use it on some wet conditions, some stream crossings with lots of sand and damp dirt after a couple of days of light rain.
    Chain was relubed after 7 rides (2 rides with other lubes).
    There was some grinding noise after water crossing, that lasted only about 30 seconds and dissapeared as it started, shifting was unchanged after 30 k of dirtroad and singletrack, this time the chain didn't pickup that much dirt.
    By the way, I applied some Chain-L to a friend's bike, he asked me to sell him my sample bottle, I guess that shows how much he liked it.

mtbr member
    I received a sample a while ago, I feel like I am echoing a lot of what has already been said here. Tried a variety of chain lubes before this, from wax, to oil, to greases. Here are my opinions on Chain-L:

1) Application - I first cleaned the chain with simple green and a rag. I let it dry out for a few hours before application of Chain - L. I found the application was very easy, and cleaner than many lubes I have tried. Because it is so viscous, I didn't get a drop on the ground, and was easily able to lubricate each link from the inside of the chain. I let it sit overnight my first application, 20 minutes during the second. Not a huge difference between either, but if you have the time I can't see going wrong with letting sit overnight. I then wiped off excess with a cloth. Because it is so thick, and you only need a vary then coat on the chain, it requires a thorough wiping down. The more you get off, the cleaner it will be.

2) Riding conditions - clay, sand, mud, creek crossing, and everything in between. I did my best be as hard as possible on the chain. After a long ride with stream crossings and dusty dirt conditions, I would usually lubricate my chain immediately after the ride. With Chain L I just grab a rag, wipe it off, and it is good to go!

Pros - Lubricates well, provides a smooth feel to the chain, last longer than any other lube I have tried, easy to apply (IMO),leaves the chain really clean if you just wipe it down with a dry rag

Cons - Build up in between links, can get pretty bad at times.

Conclusion: I am really satisfied with the lube and plan to continue using it. The protection it offers is better than anything else I have tried. I would like to see an attempt to make a MTB formula chain-L, that provides less build up in between the links. Seeing that is my only complaint though, not bad.

PS: smell doesn't bother me lol

Ride Responsibly
    I finally got a few miles on my bikes. Over 30 miles on the 1x9 and still quiet, that's twice what I get from other lubes.
    Only 20 miles on the SS.
    The SS chain is brand new, the 1x9 has maybe 500+ miles on it.
    Have gotten over the smell.
    With the Chain-L, I took the chains off the bike and applied with a syringe, no waste, less mess.
    More later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Returning with more extended results. Its been slightly wet here but not as soaked as it was when I previously tested. I had 4 hard 10-15 mile rides on the lube and a XC race and then a few super D runs and the lube is still preforming well. I have had to wipe off significant amounts of dirt from the chain because it seems to pick up more than the Prolink that I was using before. After numerous stream crossings and wet rides though I will happily say that the lube is preforming well. I think in my previous test I was hesitant to leave the chain on because of the amount of dirt that it had picked up. But just wiping it off cleans it up decently and the chain runs silent. Very pleased with my samples.

Prone To Internet Drama
    Nov 2008
    After reading some good reviews on this forum about chain L I decided to give it a try and Im glad I did. I ride in a very dry and dusty environment and have had problems with dry lubes not doing any actual lubricating. What good is a clean chain if it has no lubrication? I also used Tri-flow, which was OK but it only lasted a couple of rides, had a tendency to "fling" off of the chain onto my bike, and collected lots of grime.

Anyway, I got the chain L and followed the directions on the tech. sheet fairly closely. It was not difficult for me to apply a single drop to each chain roller with the supplied bottle. I did not make a mess or experience any other issues during application. The stuff smells like automotive gear oil, not my favorite smell but I didnt buy it to get dates, I bought it to lube my chain so I dont care what it smells like.

Results, after a week or so of riding or about forty - fifty miles I had to re-lube. The chain was not any dirtier than it was after that much riding on the other lubes. I actually think the Chain L is cleaner b/c I basicly applied it and then forgot about my chain for a week, it was actually kind of nice. After a week I wiped off the chain with a rag, cleaned the deraileur rollers, and chainrings and re-applied the Chain L. Today I went for another ride on the clean drivetrain and its running smooth and quiet again.

Overall Im impressed with Chain L. An $11. bottle is probably enough to last me well over a year, which makes it way more economical than the bottle after bottle of dry lube that I was applying after every ride. It also works better; cleaner, quieter, longer lasting by far, and smooth shifting. A great product.
    Last edited by mojavehanna; 02-09-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    for chain oil!!!! Got to test the product in various conditions and I'm impressed with the longevity it gave me. First few rides I had to clean the chain(Sram PC991) with a rag, but after around 20-30 miles, it was all good. As others have already said here, chain is quieter and in dry and sandy conditions the product performed very good. Thou initial application was a bit long due to the chain prep, the product lasted so good that it made up for it. Every thing was fine and dandy until the mud came to doom my chain, as many products if it's good for dry, its bad for wet. Chain got seriously muddy, nevertheless, it still was running ok given the conditions, usually in that kind of mud my chain starts to make those awful grinding and crushing noises, and that was not the case here. I'm impressed with that, but after the mandatory chain hose off, the lubrication was all gone, and I mean gone. I was doing another ride that same trip and had to spill a bit of synlube that I always have in the trunk laying around. Compared to my favorite, Rock and Roll, it is not as clean, at least in the first few miles, but it last longer and it feels smother and quieter. And it seems it protects the chain from corrosion a bit better.

I must say I recommend it!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I heated my Chain-L sample under the hot tap before application and applied it dropwise to my new pc-971. I then placed the chain in a warm oven at about 150F for several hours, turning it twice so the oil would penetrate well. I then wiped off the excees before i put the chain on. Shifting great and very quiet. Can't speak to the dirt issues as only city biking atm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome
    I heated my Chain-L sample under the hot tap before application and applied it dropwise to my new pc-971. I then placed the chain in a warm oven at about 150F for several hours, turning it twice so the oil would penetrate well. I then wiped off the excees before i put the chain on. Shifting great and very quiet. Can't speak to the dirt issues as only city biking atm.
    Just a heads up. Heating the oil or chain doesn't actually improve penetration, it only speeds it up. Keeping it warm for anything over 20 minutes is overkill, and there's no need to turn it since it wicks in all directions by capillary action. The main advantage of warming the oil is it makes it easier to wipe off the excess since it's a bit less clingy when warm.

Heating the chain or the oil above 300 degrees or so, risks changing the chemsitry.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like overkill, I guess I took your suggestion to do it somewhere warm and ran with it.

If the oven was a bit much, I must say warming under the hot tap made it a lot less viscous and easier to apply.

mtbr member
    Excellent Product ............Use it on a my bikes ... Once you use it youll never use anything else ..thats a fact !! and what more could you ask for a Company thats willing to send you a sample !! Francis your awesome !! The product will do the talking !!!
    Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey .. i had made 1200 kilometer on my trainer (canadian winter) with only one lube ... still running and shifting like day one ... i can t wait to go outside ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    boutique chain lube. ha. 1 part chainsaw oil, 3 parts mineral spirits. done.

mtbr member
    It could be made from baby oil for all I care as long as it works !!!!
    whats the problem? ...find out the facts before you make silly coments serfur1
    try some ...you want a sample to try?
    Steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdsy
    It could be made from baby oil for all I care as long as it works !!!!
    whats the problem? ...find out the facts before you make silly coments serfur1
    try some ...you want a sample to try?
    nah, I'm good, my homebrew works as well as anything else out there and is nearly free.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by serfur1
    nah, I'm good, my homebrew works as well as anything else out there and is nearly free.
    My homebrew is similar to yours (gear oil and mineral spirits 1:3) but Chain-L is better as it lasts MUCH longer.

Have used it over a Canadian winter since December and I am a believer. Like others, I find it is very thick (thrust me, there are no mineral spirits added) so I warmed it up to apply to the chain after it had been dried with a heat gun (making sure the chain didnt get too hot). The combination of warm chain/warm oil helped it penetrate quicker. I didn't get the stringy oil like others have complained about. I used a damp cloth of solvent to wipe the chain clean afterwards anyway.

I do agree that it picks up a lot of dust. You need to wipe clean after every ride for the first couple of rides. However, I got around 15 rides or 500 km (300 miles) before i relubed. Didnt really have to, but did so anyway.

I will be interested to see how it does in the spring on the sloppy trails. Stay tuned...

Thanks for for the sample Francis.
    It's only pain......

Ride Responsibly
    I have been using Chain-L couple months now and it does last at least five times longer than anything else I have tried. I will be looking for a store that carries it, will suggest it to my LBS. My rides have been very wet and the oil has not washed out.
    Have not tried warming the oil, might have to try that. a few seconds in the microwave?
    Would it makes sense to add mineral spirits to thin it out for application, or would this not allow enough oil inside?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    I have been using Chain-L couple months now and it does last at least five times longer than anything else I have tried. I will be looking for a store that carries it, will suggest it to my LBS. My rides have been very wet and the oil has not washed out.
    Have not tried warming the oil, might have to try that. a few seconds in the microwave?
    Would it makes sense to add mineral spirits to thin it out for application, or would this not allow enough oil inside?
    Thanks for the kind words, and I'd definitely appreciate it if you told the LBS.

A few words in answer to your questions---
    1- Don't put it in the microwave. I'm not sure if it'll even warm, since microwave ovens work on the principle of exciting water molecules and there isn't any water in it. In any case, it is flameable, though with a high flash point, and I wouldn't want to hear about any nasty surprises. If you want to warm it for faster penetration, stand the bottle in hot water, up to boiling is OK, but it can get hot to handle, so use some sense.

2- Don't thin it with solvents. In the early stages of developement, we tried thinned versions, both with solvents that fully evaporateed, and some that didn't such as kerosene. Both types degraded the performance significantly. Residual solvents lowering the film strength, and evaporating solvents leaving less oil inside, worsening the wet weather life. If you want to use any solvents, use them after application to help remove excess on the outside, though I'm contented to use a paper towel.

Take my word for it, I spent almost a year tweaking it, trying to balance ease of application with performance. I paid zero attention to cleanliness after finding it was acceptable as it was with a bit of user care.

Francis

BTW- we're coming into Chain-suck season. I'm thinking of offering some kind of chain suck challenge, but I wonder if this is still a problem for many riders. Please PM me if you tend to have chainsuck problems in the early Spring, fb
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

Rabid Lana fan
    OK, here is my review.

I put on a brand new cassette and chain in December, and thought this would be a perfect time to test a new lube. I thoroughly cleaned the factory stuff out of the chain. I would normally leave it in, as it is a SRAM chain, but I wanted to test Chain-L.

I followed the instructions to apply the lube, left it overnight, and then installed the chain. Next moring I wiped down the excess, and off for the first ride.

Performance was fine, conditions were wet and dirty. Alot of gunk build up, but that was to be expected in these conditions.

I resisted the temptation to pull the chain off and degrease and reapply after the first ride. So I just wiped it down.

After 4 rides, about 50 miles or so, still no noise. At this point, I did a full wash on my bike, so I went ahead and pulled the chain and degreased and reapplied. (This is part of my ritual when washing the bike). I will note that the cahini was still quiet at this point, and shifting well.

I would have to say this lube works great and lasts longer than anything else I have used yet.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    I too took advantage of FB's free sample offer. Here are my thoughts:

A great, long lasting lube IME. I used to apply wax lubes before every ride, but this one really sticks around. I haven't thought about my chain in months. If you are careful to wipe off the excess the chain does not attract much dirt at all. I've been impressed with it's performance is the wet and muddy winter/spring conditions around here.

The only downside is the care required in the initial application to make sure this thick lube gets in all the nooks and crannys. Once it's there it seems to stay put very well.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Finally got to use the sample, been mildly wet here in NH but I have to say everything they claim about the stuff is true. lasts at least 4-5 times longer than finish line wet or dry and quieter to boot. a bit of a pain to wipe off the excess , had to wipe it down after each ride for 3 or 4 rides . Haven't really been able to test it in real dry dusty conditions yet but I will be using it from now on. If you read my first post you'll see I was quite skeptical, but try it and see for yourself

Riding or Fishing
    I finally got around to using my sample.
    Not too much riding yet, but so far, it seems pretty good!
    Really, and I mean, REALLY quiet. Shifting seems crisper too. 2 BIG plusses!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

First impressions

Here are my first impressions.
    I received Chain-L a few weeks ago.
    I applied it on a used, clean chain.
    The thing is THICK! Waaaay thicker than anything I had ever used. Like a goo or something.
    You don't even need a rag because it won't spill.
    However, you will need a rag to remove excess.

The smell is not nice, but it doesn't bother me either. It's not a problem.
    May be I wouldn't have noticed the bad smell if I hadn't read the previous reviews here.
    Anyway, not a problem.

I really liked the bottle. It's well designed to apply this oil.

It seems to be working OK so far (100 Km or so). No gunk yet, and well lubed.

I'll post an update after more miles.

mtbr member
    Free samples still being given out?
    I'm interested in trying it.
    2007 Giant Trance 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I wish I could afford to give samples to all who asked, but doing so is prohibitively expensive. Postage alone within the USA is $1.69, then there's the padded envelope & time, not to mention the bottle and the product itself.

I'm still convinced that sampling is the best way to introduce users to Chain-L so I've come up with this. I'll sell a 1oz. "trial size" - enough for 3-4 chains - for $4.00, inc postage within the USA or Canada.

Before taking this offer please read the various reviews in this thread and in the review section, so you know what to expect. If you're still interested, click on the bottle to the right, use the buy now link, and correct the price to $4.00. Please also write "mtbr" in the special notes section.
    Last edited by FBinNY; 04-04-2009 at 09:36 AM.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

Pivoteer
    Has anyone compared this lube to Dumonde Tech? I love Dumonde, and it works well. I follow similar appilcation procedures, but a longer lasting lube would be nice. I usually get 2 Arizona desert rides in on Dumonde, 4 would be better
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Has anyone compared this lube to Dumonde Tech? I love Dumonde, and it works well. I follow similar appilcation procedures, but a longer lasting lube would be nice. I usually get 2 Arizona desert rides in on Dumonde, 4 would be better
    I did. I used Dumonde Tech and Prolink. The performance of each was about the same for me. I would get 1 to 1.5 hrs of ride time in Phoenix during the summer when it's really dusty. I'm now using chain-l and getting 2-3+ hours easily. Application is a real PITA on the bike, but if you use an SRAM chain with a powerlink, take the chain off to apply and it's not too bad. It's super thick and stringy, so it makes a mess, but it's the longest lasting lube I've found for desert riding.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    After a long time with my sample bottle -which lasted me through many applications - here's my review.

First, let me say that I tried really hard *not* to like the sample I got from Francis. As soon as I got it out of the package and put some on my finger and saw how viscous, sticky and thick it was, I was put off.

I'm originally a tri-flow user from my road racing days. However, when I started riding trails often, I found that it got too dirty. I switched to Prolink and have been super satisfied. Its a great lube and my chain stays super clean and relatively quiet. Stuff gets used up really fast though.

I got the sample from Francis, and followed the chain prep advice. This didn't differ too much from my normal prep as I run two chains and like to keep them both clean and in good shape.

The first thing I noticed on my ride following chain-l application the previous day (good wipe down before the ride) was how utterly quiet the drivetrain was!! Not just i-just-cleaned-my-drivetrain-quiet, but really really quiet. I was impressed. When I got home I wasn't happy with the accumulated junk on the chain and sprockets. However, I wiped it down and left it. I followed this with more rides and each day I accumulated less gunk, but the quietness remained! In fact, after about 20 miles (mix road and trail) and one or two wipe downs, I find that the chain no longer accumulates much more dirt than a chain lubed with prolink. Also, the lube lasts *way* longer than prolink. My chain "asks" for more lube after about 60 miles (60% or so trail miles).

I also find that after a really wet/dirty ride (and wipe down), once the chain-l-ed chain is taken off the bike, the links still move relatively easily the next day. This is in contrast to a prolink-ed chain, which, I have found, that the wet/dirty rides tend to make me take the chain off and switch to my other, clean chain because the links are more gritty and stiff. Granted I'm talking about when this gets really dirty.

I still like prolink for its cleanliness, but after this experience, I have to purchase more chain-L and give it a full go on a totally new chain/cassette combo when I switch those out in another month or so.

Good work Francis.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm interested in more Arizona/Texas rider opinions. Sounds like an interesting product.

At first I didn't bother with chain maintenance much, just using thinned bar/chain oil. It was dirt cheap, but my chains were also cheap. Now with x10sl chains, I feel I need to take better care of them. Plus, drivetrain noise gets annoying once you've A/B'ed enough noisy and silent drivetrains.

mtbr member
    This stuff is great! It has been pouring rain here in East Tennessee for about a week so i said screw it and went riding anyway. I figured if this oil could survive these conditions it would be a keeper. After one application and two rides in super wet and muddy conditions my chain is still quiet! I could beleive how quiet my chain was. I have never had a lube that kept my chain this silent!

I wish i had found this lube years ago, i would have saved myself alot of money and time searching for a good chain lube! I am sold on the quality of chain-L oil. I figure if it can hold up to this nasy weather we are having right now when things dry up, it will be even better!

My results with a dirty chain at first are like everyone elses, then just wipe it down and forget about it. Its that easy.

I also have been having issues with chain suck this winter because of the wet weather here. So far on two separate wet and muddy rides it has not happened since using the chain-L oil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834
    I'm interested in more Arizona/Texas rider opinions. Sounds like an interesting product.

At first I didn't bother with chain maintenance much, just using thinned bar/chain oil. It was dirt cheap, but my chains were also cheap. Now with x10sl chains, I feel I need to take better care of them. Plus, drivetrain noise gets annoying once you've A/B'ed enough noisy and silent drivetrains.
    I'm in Arizona and am very happy with it. It lasts longer than anything I've used in the dusty conditions, and I've tried them all. I remove my chain to clean and apply, and that makes application easier and less messy. If you can't remove your chain, don't worry, just take your time applying and cleaning. You will be impressed! There are a few rides I do that are long and extremely dusty, and require cleaning and lubing the chain a couple of times during the ride. I won't use Chain-L for that (relubing during a ride). For that type of ride, I'll start with Chain-L on the chain, then when relubing is needed, I'll just use ProLink, which kind of cleans the chain as well. Once the ride is over, I'll thoroughly clean and lube with Chain-L. It's the best I've ever used for sure.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834

Ya no kidding...I used to pay $25 for an xtr chain, but now they are like $40. If it can extend the chain life it will pay for itself. I just sent in a $4 paypal for the trial bottle. This sounds good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So far so good. For the initial application, I took the chain off and soaked it in solvent to get rid of all of the existing lube and dirt. I than applied and let the chain-l soak in for about 15 minutes and gave it a good wipe. I installed it on the bike and so far I have gotten two rides in for about 26 total miles in dry dusty SoCal. Usually, I use Prolink and during the second ride, the chain is in need of more lubrication. After my second ride with chain-l, my chain is still smooth and quiet. When the time comes to reapply, is it necessary to clean out the chain with solvent again or can I just reapply chain-l directly to the chain? Sometimes I am too lazy to clean do a good cleaning job on the chain.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmi63
    When the time comes to reapply, is it necessary to clean out the chain with solvent again or can I just reapply chain-l directly to the chain? Sometimes I am too lazy to clean do a good cleaning job on the chain.
    Right from the Chain-L site...

Quote Originally Posted by Chain-L
    If you wish, you may “dry clean” the chain from time to time by wiping with a paper towel, but don’t add oil unless the
    chain “asks” for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6