mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Chain keeps skipping?

Prior to me recently changing the chain and rear cassette on my bike the chain used to skip all the time. Now its not as bad as it was but in particular when im doing technical climbs it generally skips of the chain ring

Gears seem okay......do u think I need new chain rings looking at the pics?

Any other ideas as to what may be causing it very welcome!Attachment 814406

mtbr member
    The big one in particular looks like it's seen better days. Does it skip on both rings, or just one? Based on your post I'd say it's a pretty good bet you have a bad chainring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks a lot for the quick response
    Descending its started skipping on the big one and often at the worst dang time when I'm wanting that boost of speed on a flat section between jumps and what have you.
    The little one starts acting itself up as soon as I start try to climb over anything technical/interesting like boulders or steep ramps.
    I actually hope this is all it as the gears are the only other thing I can think of now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is the chain skipping or falling off?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Descending it tends to just skip but climbing it generally falls off the chain ring

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Kinda sounds like maybe your chain is too long. How did you determine the correct length of the new chain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The local bike shop fitted it

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You can check the length by shifting onto the large chainring and the carefully shifting one gear at a time until you're on the largest cog. At that point the rear derailleur should be angled well forward. Then shift to the small chainring, smallest cog and the rear derailleur should still have the tension on the chain.

Also you say it's falling off while jumping and in techy terrain, you may just need to put on a chain keeper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It looks like it might be that as it isn't moving forwards much, what do u think from the pic?

Attachment 814493

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you changed a chain and cassette that were worn out, odds are pretty good it's your chainrings that are causing your current problems. The little ring looks like it might be steel, if you don't use that one much you could try just changing the larger ring, the little one might be ok.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angryhalfling View Post
    It looks like it might be that as it isn't moving forwards much, what do u think from the pic?
    If that's in the big front ring then the chain may be a tad long, but that should never cause skipping under load unless maybe you were in little/little combo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Chain keeps skipping?

Check the links. My bike was doing this. Tuned it a couple times , shortened the chain. Ended up being a link came off (side piece came.off the pivot). So check the chain. Lube it , tune it

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

ouch....
    I would def put on some new rings up front. Likely can remove a link or two from the chain as well.

If you are dropping the chain up front, you may have to adjust your front derailleur as well.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    - The chain was indeed a bit to long, but not a critical factor.

-The first bike shop fitted a standard "do it all" chain but it wasn't the right thickness.

- The guy in this shop used to work for shimano and he actually showed me a sizing chart for the fittings I had and compatiblility...he said he was more difference than if they'd stuck a 10 speed chain on my 9 speed bike.

- The two little cogs that they'd replaced around the rear mech were to small, which was a primary cause of the chain skipping.

Strewth.