mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Chain jumps on cassette?

I have a cassette question. On ocassion, on my largest two gears, my chain will jump out of the teeth and ride on the top of the teeth just for a few links then it works itself back into normal operation. It happens at different places on my chain so I do not think it is the problem. Does it sound like a rear derailleur adjustment or something more major? Thanks.
    Last edited by butters; 08-24-2004 at 03:31 PM.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I'd suspect a derailleur adjustment, since it's only happening on your two largest cogs, but I'd also check my chain for wear and, if it is not solvable after addressing those two items, I'd replace the cassette.

Perpetually single track
    FWIW, I agree with Nate. I have a tool to check chain wear, but you can also do it by measuring a length of chain against what the known length. If you do a search on this forum for "chain wear" you should find a link a to a web page that explains it pretty well. If you chain is really worn, you may need to replace some chain rings as well.

Go for the derailleur adjustment first though.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Be sure to check the derailleur hanger as well and make sure it's straight. If not, you should be able to bend it back in the correct position. I had the same problem as you (at least I think I did, based on your description), and a slightly bent hanger was the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

maybe a bent derailleur hanger?

I had a similar problem (except the middle cassette rings were skipping), and it turned out to be a bent derailleur hanger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by butters
    I have a cassette question. On ocassion, on my largest two gears, my chain will jump out of the teeth and ride on the top of the teeth just for a few links then it works itself back into normal operation. It happens at different places on my chain so I do not think it is the problem. Does it sound like a rear derailleur adjustment or something more major? Thanks.

I just had what seems like a similar problem and I would agree with the last 2 that it is probably a bent hanger. Now hopefully you have a replaceable hanger if not then your frame is trash, but most bikes have replaceable hangers. If you look at your rear der. from behind you should be able to tell if it is bent, but not always. Anyway you could try to do it yourself if you know what you are doing, but the best thing to do if you dont have the proper tool and knowledge is to take it to your lbs and have then look at it and fix it. The hanger needs to be a certain distance from your rim and if you bend it back yourself to far or not enough it will just cause more problems, plus the hanger is aluminum and the more you bend on it the weaker it gets, it is usually good for only one bend and after that it needs replacing ($20) if it is bent again. If you take it to the shop where you bought the bike they might repair it for free, but usually they will charge like $10, its about a 10 minute job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My chain is jumping on me the whole way through my cassete but only when I'm putting alot power on it (going up hill etc.) . The bike is only about 3 weeks old and nothing is bent. Is there a simple adjustment to fix this or is it something more?

Don't touch me!