mtbr member
    Jan 2005

chain hopping around on cassette

new chain and new cassette...when i bang into stuff with the rear wheel or do light drops, the chain shifts around sometimes on the cassette, this is annoying and sometimes the chain stays up a cog and then i pedal it out with a big crunch, which i know is doing bad things...

has anybody been able to cure this, i know how to adjust the RD, and its good, leave it so that i have to press the lever a little further, that way i know it won't be shifting too far.
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member

Dual suspension?

If so, it might be that your cable housing is too short and that's causing the problems.

Do It Yourself
    Chainrings new too? It all should be replaced together.

Check your cable housing to see if some strands have separated and are uneven. I have had the worst trouble with this here lately. Every time I change the housing, I have to go back and recut the housing strands several times before they settle down. The more the flex or the more extreme the bend, the worse it is.

Another thing to check is the derailleur hanger. You like DAGs?
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    after carefully spinning the chain on the rear cassette, there appear to be several teeth that are making the chain not seat properly...i got the cheapest cassette i could get, the SRAM PG950...maybe the tolerances are shite on cheap cassette

can't be the hanger, my bike has a billet piece of the frame RD goes into, yeah it's a full suspension

this is absolutely maddening
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    after carefully spinning the chain on the rear cassette, there appear to be several teeth that are making the chain not seat properly...i got the cheapest cassette i could get, the SRAM PG950...maybe the tolerances are shite on cheap cassette

can't be the hanger, my bike has a billet piece of the frame RD goes into, yeah it's a full suspension

i have not come accross a chain hopping problem that could not be fixed by properly adjusting the indexing. The adjustment is teh adjuster on the cable where it attaches to the RD. My advise is to set it up on a stand/hang it from a tree, check the H and L screw positions to make sure it isnt going in to spoikes or frame, and then mess with the indexing from there. Zinn's book has a very clear explanation. Good luck

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane

Slightly out of adjustment rear deraileur will cause chain hop too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    i have not come accross a chain hopping problem that could not be fixed by properly adjusting the indexing. The adjustment is teh adjuster on the cable where it attaches to the RD. My advise is to set it up on a stand/hang it from a tree, check the H and L screw positions to make sure it isnt going in to spoikes or frame, and then mess with the indexing from there. Zinn's book has a very clear explanation. Good luck

i just replace the 11T cog on the new cassette with the same cog off the old one, this eliminated one of the annoying teeth non-meshings...i swear one of the teeth was just not correct...i'm didling with the RD now...but in my little experience, i've learned that anybody can make a bike shift on a repair stand, whole new ballgame with the system under torque

Meh.
    Improper cable tension, bent derailleur hanger, short housing/ excessive friction in housing, improper chain length, stiff link in chain. Any of these could cause skipping.