Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain guide that replaces small chain ring

10K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Lule 
#1 ·
I recently switched to 1x10 on my Trek Fuel EX8. I have a Shimano bash guard on the outside of the chain ring, but I'm looking for something that bolts to the holes my 22t ring used before I removed it. I really don't like the chain keeper I have on there now, there's plenty of space for the chain to drop while I'm in the smallest couple cogs. Any other suggestions are welcome as well. I have considered the N-Gear Jump Stop, just looking for some options. This is just for XC riding, so I don't need one of the $150 MRP guides, something reasonably priced.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Shark said:
http://www.bbgbashguard.com/Mountainbike.html
Scroll down page about 1/2 way where it says "64 BCD
32T 50gr
SUPERLIGHT
REPLACES THE
SMALL 22
TOOTH RING."
Commonly known as a Bash-wich....I may be switching to this as well (already use a BBG 32T bashguard & love it....every once in a while I'll drop my chain (1x9) & it's annoying.
Awesome, that will work perfect! Thanks.

#9 ·
my inner BBG guard was doing the same thing straz at first. It was juuuuuust barely grazing the " Swingarm" i guess you'd call it, but i kept bending it inward toward the chain and eventually moved the bashguard the half millimeter inward to where it no longer rubs the swingarm. Soon as i can get to a hardware store im going to buy some sand paper and try to shim the guard down a little to where it can never rub again. Other than that i love my bash-wich

#10 ·
Shark said:
Yikes...
I have an EX9 & the inside bashguard on the way....I guess if I have to grind it a bit I will so it doesn't rub.....

Which crankset do you have?
M542. You'll also have issues fitting it around the BB shell. I needed to grind a couple mm if I was going to use it. I still may in the future, just haven't had a chance in the past few days.

#14 ·
I installed my BBG inner guard tonight on my 2010 EX9.
Same issues as you pointed out in your pic.

I took a dremel to the inside hole, probably only had to remove maybe 1/8" & it fits around the BB shell/frame area. It was still going to rub on the swingarm though so I ended up grinding the outer edge about 1/8" - 1/4" & it fits now.
Note, I run a 30T ring up front, so losing some diameter shouldn't hurt anything but if you run a 32 then it might not be as good holding the chain on...not sure.
I'll get a good ride on it tomorrow & see if I can drop the chain or not.

#15 ·
my 1x9 setup
2010 Rockhopper Expert
few upgrades

[/URL][/IMG]

BBG Bashwich

[/URL][/IMG]

i had to trim my inner guard in a hair, and i only have one ride with the BBG setup so far, and everyhing has been good. i run 32T up front with 32t Guards

#20 ·
From experience I know the BBG is 2mm bigger than the Raidium and that made all the difference for me. Where the BBG snags the frame (like some of these guys experienced) the Raidium just about rotates cleanly.

I love the inner-guide setup. It's got to be the lightest out there, right?!

#21 ·
Tetra said:
From experience I know the BBG is 2mm bigger than the Raidium and that made all the difference for me. Where the BBG snags the frame (like some of these guys experienced) the Raidium just about rotates cleanly.

I love the inner-guide setup. It's got to be the lightest out there, right?!
I still have my BBG inner guard in my parts bin; maybe sometime I'll try to get it on someone's lathe and take 2mm or so off. Thanks for the idea!

As for weight, the MRP 1.X actually only weighs 58g and the e13 XCX only weighs 56g. In comparison the standard BBG outer guard alone is 58g and the inner guard is another 50g. Edit: Or the Radium weenie-weight inner at 25g.

#22 ·
boomn said:
I still have my BBG inner guard in my parts bin; maybe sometime I'll try to get it on someone's lathe and take 2mm or so off. Thanks for the idea!

As for weight, the MRP 1.X actually only weighs 58g and the e13 XCX only weighs 56g. In comparison the standard BBG outer guard alone is 58g and the inner guard is another 50g. Edit: Or the Radium weenie-weight inner at 25g.
Where could I buy a Radium at in the states?

#23 ·
rob1208lv said:
Where could I buy a Radium at in the states?
I doubt that you can, other than ordering direct from them. Their ordering page mentions overseas shipping so they must do it. They look like a small machine shop kind of setup (which is good and admirable, not trying to knock them), so international dealer networks is unlikely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.