mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Chain Guide to convert Shimano 2x10 to 1x10 - No Bueno

I currently have a 2x10 SLX crank (2013) on my Giant Anthem and got all the parts to convert to 1x10 - namely Raceface 34t chainring and MRP seat tube mounted guide. Ring goes inside of spider as it should, but guide does not line up centered, too far to the left so the outside of the chain rubs. I spaced it out so that it works, but I shot emails back and forth about what could have been wrong with a rep from MRP.

Turns out that the newer 2x Shimano cranks have a different chain line, and they say that they don't make a guide for that. He also said they don't plan to either, as it causes too much of a skewed chain line when on the big gear on the cassette. In fact, when in the big gear on the back, if I spin the crank backwards it wants to shift down. It never did that when it was in the big ring with the 2x setup, I'm assuming that it may be because of the ramped chainring with the 2x so it allows more tolerance or the skewed line?

Anyway, point of my post is that for anyone wanting to convert a new 2x10 shimano setup to 1x, it doesn't look like you can expect a straight bolt on guide. I may go back to 2x as I'm not too confident in the 1x setup as it is...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    I currently have a 2x10 SLX crank (2013) on my Giant Anthem and got all the parts to convert to 1x10 - namely Raceface 34t chainring and MRP seat tube mounted guide. Ring goes inside of spider as it should, but guide does not line up centered, too far to the left so the outside of the chain rubs. I spaced it out so that it works, but I shot emails back and forth about what could have been wrong with a rep from MRP.

Turns out that the newer 2x Shimano cranks have a different chain line, and they say that they don't make a guide for that. He also said they don't plan to either, as it causes too much of a skewed chain line when on the big gear on the cassette. In fact, when in the big gear on the back, if I spin the crank backwards it wants to shift down. It never did that when it was in the big ring with the 2x setup, I'm assuming that it may be because of the ramped chainring with the 2x so it allows more tolerance or the skewed line?

Anyway, point of my post is that for anyone wanting to convert a new 2x10 shimano setup to 1x, it doesn't look like you can expect a straight bolt on guide. I may go back to 2x as I'm not too confident in the 1x setup as it is...
    What's the chainline on your bike for a 1 x __? And what is the measurement from seat tube (outer edge) to center of teeth on your crankring?

There are solutions that might work just fine for your bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Chain Guide to convert Shimano 2x10 to 1x10 - No Bueno

I will check it out. I will add that I modified the chain guide to be centered over the chain ring. I've had it on a couple of rides setup this way and it seems to be working fine on the trail, though I do have a couple of concerns. Periodically when near the middle gears on the cassette and shifting towards smaller gears, it tends to double shift. Also, it still wants to shift to smaller gears when in the 36tooth gear on the cassette and you spin the cranks backwards. But in practice on the trail these things weren't too bad. Could it be chain length?

The other concern is the angle of the chain when in the biggest gear.

mtbr member
    Ok just get a raceface 104 narrow/wide chainring and you don't need a chainguide