mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Chain Guide Bash Guard Compatibility

Hello All,

First off let me apologize if this is a question I should I been able to find the answer to on my own. It seems like a simple thing, but I couldn't find any good information.

Are single speed chain guide's compatible with bash guard's?

And, if so, is the e.thirteen LS1 chain guide compatible with a single speed stylo crankset (not sure of the exact model, it's 5ish years old) when mounted on a klien palomino frame via a bb to iscg-05 adapter plate? The bottom bracket is screw in, the crankset is self extracting, the gear is 34 tooth, the bash plate is 4mm thick and 155mm in diameter, and the outside of the plate is 11.5mm from the inside of the chain.

Thanks!
    - Joel C.

dwt
    mtbr member

Chain Guide Bash Guard Compatibility

I have 2 Stylo 1.1 SS cranks, both 32T both a few years old. One is on a SS, one on a 1X9. The Stylos come with included bash mounted . You can't run a top hold chain guide without removing the bash. I tried that, won't mention the brand, but the chain more than once came off and got stuck in the guide requiring removal to get it pulled out. Not fun trail side.

What I did was switch to bashwhich, chainring between inner and outer bash.

Two problems: 1. not all chainstays will fit the inner bash ( mine did) 2. Stylo has no 64 bcd drilling a for small ring. Solution, use 104 bcd bash; use extra long chainring bolts to mount inner and outer bashes to Spider together.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    You can't run a top hold chain guide without removing the bash. I tried that, won't mention the brand, but the chain more than once came off and got stuck in the guide requiring removal to get it pulled out. Not fun trail side.
    Thanks for the information.

For now, I've built something like the widgit by using spacers and screws through the Allen wrench holes of my crank to attach 1.5 inch washers on the inside of the front crank. It isn't perfect, but my birthday is coming up; I'm thinking I've been a good enough boy to get a new drive-train with a clutched rear derailleur.

- Joel C.