mtbr member

Is this chain going to hold?

I just got a new chain form Phattire.com and they sent it in plastic bag (not the original Shimano box) and without the little guide-in pins with the break off nib thingy.

It just had a regular pin started in the hole of one of the outer plates. When I pressed that pin in, the opposite hole apparently wasn't lined up exactly and it kinda flared the hole and bent the plate out a bit. A pair of channel locks straigtened things out pretty well .... but I don't know if I can trust it now. What do you think? Should I just remove one more link and try again? Call Phattire or shimano and get me some of those guide-in break off starter pins? or What?

It sounds like you got a chain taken off a bike or something, I'd call Phattire and ask them to mail me a couple of the Shimano pins; the Shimano chain when new comes with 'em. It sounds like you at least got sufficient links for your setup...but I haven't had the best of luck when not using the replacement pins so I keep a supply in my pack and in the garage.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well if you pay for something new you ought to get something new. This means in the box, sealed and with all the parts. You got it in a bag withouth the replacement pins. I'd call them back and ask what's going on.

mtbr member
    yeah, good advice. I decided to ride the trainer today just in case the chain didn't hold (besides it was snowing like crazy outside and trying to put a chain back together in weather like that didn't sound fun) and I'm glad I did.

It didn't break but it ramped up off the rear cog every time that link came around making the chain skip. I think it had more to do with the bent/splayed side piece than the chain.

I took out two more links and reconnected it and it seems better. I'd still feel better with a shimano connector breakoff pin. I'll call Phattire and see if they'll send one. I'm pretty sure this is a new chain because it has the gooey/sticky factory lube on it and was the full uncut length. I got a good price on it as they automatically upgraded me to the next level chain for the same price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

couple suggestions....

Likely the reason you are experiencing the skipping now is because you have a tight link where you installed the pin; try slowly running the cranks in reverse with your hand and you will see it hop when it goes through the derailleur pulleys. Find the tight link, grab the chain close on both sides of it, and flex the chain back and forth a bit. That will loosen it up.

When you get the right pins, be sure to put one in place of the troublesome pin or that will always be a weak link. Also, if you can, take one more inch out of the chain so you are working with fresh side plates; you have already damaged a pair of outer plates by driving that pin in and the correct pin may not hold.

Call them and demand some pins; a new chain comes with 2. And clean that sticky gooey stuff off the chain. Most devastating chainsuck issue I've ever seen was on a brand new bike with that stuff still on the chain as lube; soon as I cleaned and relubed the chain it never sucked again.