mtbr member

Listen! Which Chain to get?

Hey,
    So today I broke my chain, in the pouring rain and hail, deep in wooded area, and it sucked . I was a little confused because the chain was almost perfectly strait (not straining from high chainring to low casette gear) but that is over with. So I need a new chain but I am confused by all the different numbers and stuff. So i have a 9 speed system with a Sram shifter, cassette and Derailleur (which also was jacked up today). I herd there are like stainless steel chains and stuff but I don't know if they really help.

So which chain should I get for my system (based on the budget of a 16 year old)
    "Well, now we know what NOT to do..." - Me and my Friends

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A 16 year old's budget is actually quite large, considering he gets along with his parents.

If you want a very long lasting chain, get the cheapest chain you can get. They are usually the strongest.

If you want a good chain, get an XT. I've abused an old XT chain for the last 6 months (previous owner used it for a long time it seems), and I haven't had any problems with it so far. The last chain I bought (LX) broke in less than a month, and when I got tired of fixing it every 10 miles, I got a new XT for it.

It shouldn't cost you more than 35 dollars. Just show your parents your broken gear and a sad face.

I do not like sram. I've found sram chains too weak for me.

mtbr member

Sounds Good...

Yah that fits into my price limit (which is not from my parents even though I get along with them real well). Just curious the chain I had broke was a Shimano CN-HG53, how does the Shimano XT HG93 chain compare? Should I go with a cheaper chain I can replace more frequently if the two have comparable strength?

Ride the dream
    Sram chains didnt treat me well, and died fast.

KMC has been much better.

local trails rider
    I have only used Shimano chains and the XTR/Dura Ace CN-7701 is way better than HG53: it stretches less, is easier to keep clean and shifts smoother.

banned
    I made a recent thread about the durability of sram chains.

I am now on KMC z9000 chains that cost about $15 and really work well. No breaks and long lasting.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    CN-7701; the improved version of the CN-7700. And not very expensive either.

mtbr member
    Jerk_Chicken, I read that thread, but as far as the recommendation on the chain goes you are right, the reviews hate this chain but many people say they love it. Was there some second generation chain that the quality changed in?

mtbr member
    if u buy a shimano chain dont use there bs link....scrap it and use a sram power link and keep a spare power link in ur camel pack.....
    Gas Sucks Ride A Bike