mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Chain Falling Off

My girlfriend just got an 04 tassajara new at the LBS. When she tries to shift into the granny ring while peddling up an incline the chain almost always falls off. We took it in and they said that there was nothing to be adjusted. They said the low screw and the tension were adjusted correctly.
    Is this just the way it has to be?
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfr0
    My girlfriend just got an 04 tassajara new at the LBS. When she tries to shift into the granny ring while peddling up an incline the chain almost always falls off. We took it in and they said that there was nothing to be adjusted. They said the low screw and the tension were adjusted correctly.
    Is this just the way it has to be?
    ACK! NO! It IS NOT this way. You got this from the LBS on a brand new bike? Personally, I'd go get my money back and go somewhere else. Seriously! There are more causes than just the low limit screw that could cause your problem. It's scary that they don't know this.

Go back and demand to speak to a manager or owner. If that was the manager/owner that told you that, see above. Tell them you want this fixed properly. That you're going to contact Gary Fisher and make a complaint.

Your front derailleur could me mounted too high, too low, or not straight. Could be a chain line problem. Could have the wrong BB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I dont know much about bikes, but I have been commuting on one for 4 years and I never had any problems like this before. How can you tell if the front derailer is mounted too high or low?

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    I dont know much about bikes, but I have been commuting on one for 4 years and I never had any problems like this before. How can you tell if the front derailer is mounted too high or low?
    Read this: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...railleur.shtml

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I cant seem to figure it out. It shifts fine when not under load. The height is good (penny just like the link), the alignment seems to be good, The low seems ok (dime width on the bottom end).

willtsmith_nwi

Chain tension ...

I cant seem to figure it out. It shifts fine when not under load. The height is good (penny just like the link), the alignment seems to be good, The low seems ok (dime width on the bottom end).
    You may have too much chain in the system. This slackens the derailleur hanger and makes it easier for the chain to jump off.

Shifting technique might be a factor too. An easy fix, other than one you may or may not get from the shop, is to get the little dealy that prevents the chain from falling off the granny...like this http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CH2052
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique