mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chain falling off

First ride today on new expert fsr 120 (brain). Interesting bike, only problem dropped my front chain in the front a few times. Well I didn't the bike did! A few times from the middle to the granny and a few times completely off. What does this mean and what should I do.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh and this isn't during shifting. It is during riding, more specifically hitting a log or other object.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What is your gear selection, when this happens.

Check for damaged tooth(teeth) on the middle ring. (chipped or bent)

College Boy
    wow you are having the same problem I having with my Rockhopper. On the middle gear the chain will skip or fall off and random when I pedal hard and ONLY on the 2nd gear and it happen across almost all the gears in the rear. Being a new bike it does seem like it should be happening. I could not see any thing wrong with it when I look at it.

might just be we both need to just replace the middle ring with something else and I going to say a NON shimanio part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brought it to the shop. Ran through it and the front der looked good minus some cable stretch. Checked chain line, rings and chain itself and all looked good. Next step is to get back out there. Wondering if chain got rubbed on a pin from one of the big ring when compressed causing the jump....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It seams to me that I started to have that kind of problem when i started messing around with chain length/tension. It's like the rear der isn't always taking in as much slack as would be necesarry.