mtbr member

Chain drop only in low gear

I've been having a weird issue where if I put the bike in the lowest gear (highest cog in the rear) the chain has a hard time staying on the big ring in the front. There is no front derailleur rub either. I can replicate it on the stand by holding the rear brake and pushing on the pedals. If I push hard enough I can actually make the crank slip. It's a KMC X10SL chain, XX crank, XO cassette. Are the KMC chains directional? Do I have it on backwards? It's not an old chain, but the frame is new. I pulled all my components off my old bike and put them on here. It's a Niner Air 9 RDO.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexgonzalezmi View Post
    I've been having a weird issue where if I put the bike in the lowest gear (highest cog in the rear) the chain has a hard time staying on the big ring in the front. There is no front derailleur rub either. I can replicate it on the stand by holding the rear brake and pushing on the pedals. If I push hard enough I can actually make the crank slip. It's a KMC X10SL chain, XX crank, XO cassette. Are the KMC chains directional? Do I have it on backwards? It's not an old chain, but the frame is new. I pulled all my components off my old bike and put them on here. It's a Niner Air 9 RDO.
    You should not use the big-big combo. Poor chainline, high wear, low efficiency, and drops off the ring easily
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apparently the chainring is smoked. I put a different chainring on and it works fine. The only problem is that its a 42t XX on a Air 9 RDO which isn't recommended.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexgonzalezmi View Post
    Apparently the chainring is smoked. I put a different chainring on and it works fine. The only problem is that its a 42t XX on a Air 9 RDO which isn't recommended.
    The poor chainline is still a factor and the chain is more likely to drop when using the big-big combo.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The poor chainline is still a factor and the chain is more likely to drop when using the big-big combo.
    Never had a chaindrop off the big big combo.....and yes I ride it frequently enough....to make it through steep gullies...

This combo should work fine on most bikes....mine is 44/22 and 34/11....

Yes it increases wear nevertheless this is often avaluable riding combo.

The chain is held tight because the RD is fully stretched in this gear.

mtbr member
    I ended up stealing the 39 off my wife's bike. Everything works fine now. The teeth on my old ring are just fried.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2