mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Chain drop drop off and misalignment a norm?

Hi, I would like to know if it is a norm to have chain misalignment when u put the front gear to the biggest cog and the rear gear to the biggest cog and the sounds gets louder.And when u reverse pedal, due to the misalignment, your rear gear will drop to the smaller cog when u are at that particular configuration.help!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

29er
    Apr 2010
    yes, that is normal, it is called the cross gear
    avoid big big, and also avoid little little

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It is normal too for the chain to drop off?

mtbr member
    Depends on the set up and the condition of the drive train. But it can happen.

mtbr member
    Picture of cross chaining

Example of acceptable gearing combinations for a typical 9 speed

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How do i read the 2nd diagram?eventhough i placed my gearing at front big and rear 2nd from the biggest,it will drop of if i reverse pedal. And if i pedal forward,the sound is rough.

29er
    Apr 2010
    may just need adjustment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boardrider02 View Post
    Hi, I would like to know if it is a norm to have chain misalignment when u put the front gear to the biggest cog and the rear gear to the biggest cog and the sounds gets louder.And when u reverse pedal, due to the misalignment, your rear gear will drop to the smaller cog when u are at that particular configuration.help!!
    It's common for the noise to increase as the chain becomes more and more misaligned. It's also considered poor form to ride in the big/big combination. Sometimes in the heat of the moment I'll end up in poor gear combination, and I take the noise as my hint to shift the chain into better alignment.

However, your chain shouldn't drop when you back-pedal. At least, it shouldn't drop on the stand with everything clean and well-lubed , and well-adjusted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I readjusted as perfect as possible...but it cant.as i look from the front,there is no way it wont drop as the alignment is obvious.hmm.scratch heads...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I readjusted as perfect as possible...but it cant.as i look from the front,there is no way it wont drop as the alignment is obvious.hmm.scratch heads...

It is entirely normal for the chain to move down the cassette if you back pedal in the big/big combo ("drop" usually refers to the chain coming off the chainrings).

Still, you should have the derailleur hanger alignment checked.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    How do i read the 2nd diagram?eventhough i placed my gearing at front big and rear 2nd from the biggest,it will drop of if i reverse pedal. And if i pedal forward,the sound is rough.

The second picture is more for derailleur cage lengths, but will do to illustrate something roughly here. The green boxes are the acceptable gearing combinations - roughly. So from each chain ring, you cannot reach all of the cassette without cross chaining. But as I said, it is not entirely accurate. I could not find the picture I was wanting.

If it is sounding rough and dropping while back pedalling, it sounds like setup to me. Possible cable tension is too much/not enough, leaving the RD in between gears.