Thread: Chain Dilema

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Chain Dilema

Okay here it goes:

I was having problems with my chain constantly breaking when riding. It was a few years old and it was time to replace anyway so I made do until I bought a new one. I went and got one today and my LBS gave me a chain for a 7,8, or 9 speed cassette bike. I have an 8 speed rear cassette.

I installed it and it was very loose and had a lot of slack. I took it back off and comapred the length of it with my old chain. The new chain was like 6 links longer so I cut it down and reinstalled.

So far all seems to be working well.

My question is wheter or not this is normal to have to cut it down or not? I just dont want it breaking again and this was my first new chain intall ever after like 5 years of Mtn. biking.

Sorry for my dumb question

Curtlo Hardtail(liatdraH)

Not really a dumb question but...

To correctly size a chain for your frame:
    If it is a dually, compress the frame as far as the shock will allow(you will probably have to remove the shock to do this), hardtails don't require any special prep. Break the chain again and remove it from the derailleur. Place the chain around the largest cog in your cassette and the largest chainring WITHOUT going through the derailleur. Measure the length of chain and add two links(one innie and one outie).
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I hate it when people buy chains from us in the bike shop, assure us that they can put them on, and then come back and complain that the new chain is too long.

Ugg. Good advice on the chain length above, but it's hard to convey how to measure it and set it up right on the internet.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth