you go ahead
    Feb 2005

chain derrailing when riding backwards...

I brought my bike to the shop yesterday, and a mechanic looked it over, adjusted the derraileur and told me it was fine. So I got home and next thing I know is that the chain keeps getting derrailed if I move the pedals backwards... like when maneuvering or doing a trackstand.

anyone have any suggestions? I have the Spring Fling this weekend, so I don't have the time to bring it to the shop.

(the limit screws might have something to do with it?)

thanks
    rustyb

I've had that problem when my freehub mechanism is contaminated, but can't think of anything else at the moment. Why did you take it to the shop in the first place, just a check up or were you having a specific problem?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I've had that problem when my freehub mechanism is contaminated, but can't think of anything else at the moment. Why did you take it to the shop in the first place, just a check up or were you having a specific problem?
    During my last ride something was loose in my suspension I think... it felt like it was knocking against something. I'm being vague because I have no idea how these systems work . I took it in and the guy looked at it and asked me to show him. Obviously I couldn't show him on the shop floor, so I said forget it and told him some other issues like a loud squeaking around the seat tube while climbing and a rough noise when the back wheel spun. He seemed not to understand anything I said so I just pretended to be satisfied and left. All he did was tighten the bolts under the seat (I have no idea why) and "adjust" my perfectly operating derailleur. What I'm worried most about is that the adjustment will wear the chain. Plus, I don't feel comfortable riding an ill adjusted derailleur at the SF.

thanks for the reply anyways.
    rustyb

I'd bet someone at the Spring Fling would be able to assist you if you ask around on arrival. I think it's hard for some mechanics to translate each person's version of a noise into a specific problem to address, whether it be cars or bikes. He probably tightened your seat post's clamp bolts due to your squeaking complaint (and it could be the collar, crap in the seatpost/seattube interface, a bottom bracket, etc too)...why he adjusted the derailleur if you reported no shifting problems I have no idea.

What is a rough noise when your rear wheel spins? Do you have rim or disk brakes that were rubbing (fixable by truing wheel or rotors) or was it coming from the hub? Otherwise I'd look to the hub and/or freehub as there isn't much else it could be.

Don't be afraid to say, hey, the shifting is fine, no need to adjust the derailleurs. If you didn't see exactly what he did it's hard to undo it, but if you'll check on the derailleur adjustment instructions at parktool.com or sheldonbrown.com I'd bet you might be able to get them right, assuming you haven't bent your derailleur hanger or anything (but since you weren't having problems, that shouldn't be it).

Have fun at the fling in any case...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

[paste title here]
    Let me take a look at it during the spring fling. Ill bring my stand out there and a couple tools. We have the same bike (well different years) so I could probably know some of the problems that you are dealing with.
    Keep Pedaling

MEDIC! Man down!
    Mar 2005
    Your chain is to long, shorten it, i have a 9 spd with a 44 in the front and i run 154 links, i had to play with it a bit until i got the right length but that made my reverse problem go away.
    My medical records are a Novel...

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    Let me take a look at it during the spring fling. Ill bring my stand out there and a couple tools. We have the same bike (well different years) so I could probably know some of the problems that you are dealing with.
    Sweet, I didn't know if you were going for sure

You're magic on my brakes make me think this'll be nothing.... see you there!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanGuy
    Your chain is to long, shorten it, i have a 9 spd with a 44 in the front and i run 154 links, i had to play with it a bit until i got the right length but that made my reverse problem go away.
    Not to flame or anything, BUT WTF are you doing using 154 link chain? I run a 44/32/22 crankset w/ a 11-34 casette, a long Deore LX rear derailer and my chain only has 112 links.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics