Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

ceramic bearing bottom brackets: Hope vs Enduro

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SteveUK 
#1 ·
This topic was discussed a year ago. Time for peeps who have used one or the other to weigh in again with their experiences.

I've been running the Shimano Hollow-whatever for years. I don't do many water crossings but I'm only getting about a year out of that BB system. So I'm considering either the Hope ceramic or the new Enduro ceramic bottom bracket. They cost twice as much as Shimano but if they last twice as long then it's a wash, plus less shipping and wrenching.

Cost is about the same. It seems to me that the issue is more the seals than the bearings. If the seals on a stainless BB were bombproof, the ceramic advantage is not so big.

So post up with your experience with either of these bottom brackets.

#5 ·
I tried...

Enduro. They use high quality steel for the races (not stainless) because the high carbon steel they use is harder than stainless. By using this steel they avoid the problem of the very hard ceramic balls grinding down the races. Of course, the problem is that the steel in the races will rust if not carefully maintained. I ride in Colorado, and normally do not submerge my bearings in water, but my Enduro did rust within 1 year. Since then I have had good luck with Chris King BBs, but I really do not have any problem with XTR either.
It is very important that the BB shell be properly faced when using external BB cups. I know some people got away from proper frame prep due to the use of cartridge style BBs, but now with the externals it is very important that the BB shell be properly prepped. If one is wearing out external BBs often, I would suggest making sure your BB shell is properly faced.

#6 ·
I burned through a RF and a Shimano BB. I put an Enduro in 2 years ago and it's still going strong. When I moved it from one frame to another, it didn't even need to have the grease changed. Get the Web grease from Enduro. It might be better than their bearings. +1 on getting the BB faced correctly. Shimano makes it easy to cheat on that since the crank arm installation doesn't have to be precise.

#8 ·
No experience with the Enduro BBs, but I've had the same Hope stainless bearings on two different frames (Big Hit and SX Trail) since spring '08, so it's coming into its second winter. I don't do a great deal of riding in really wet conditions, but I've always stripped back the crankset to clean under the outer seals after particularly muddy rides or if there's been a lot of rain. Both bearings still run absolutely smooth and silent.

I second barrow's recommendation to have your BB shell faced and also to have the threads cleaned/chased.

I know that it's ceramics that you're asking about, but I think my experience of the SS version is perhaps indicative of the quality you could expect from Hope's seals, which, as far as I'm aware, are the same on each type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.