mtbr member
    Feb 2006

CB Mallet question

Does anybody know if the CB mallets are available with a stainless steel or better core? All of the ones I have seen are the cromoly core. If not, does anybody know of a comparable platform pedal? I like the eggbeaters design, and would prefer those. I just do not want the cromoly ones because I have heard they have a problem with breaking. I was also looking at the 545's...

Beemer2
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by artec_19
    Does anybody know if the CB mallets are available with a stainless steel or better core? All of the ones I have seen are the cromoly core. If not, does anybody know of a comparable platform pedal? I like the eggbeaters design, and would prefer those. I just do not want the cromoly ones because I have heard they have a problem with breaking. I was also looking at the 545's...
    In what way to you think stainless is better than chromoly? Stainless steel is actually soft, but it is more resistant to rusting or weather. The chromoly is stronger, although I'm sure that stainless could be used in this application.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by artec_19
    I'd go for the 545s. I've used both extensively, and have mallets now. The 545 is one of my favorite pedals.

Things I don't like about the mallets that were not an issue with the 545s;

-They are not very durable, the platform is cheese and gets eaten up pretty easily.
    -There is no adjustable tension, you either like it or you don't.
    -They will release sometimes when you slam the bottom of the pedal on a rock.
    -They require you to "roll" across the pedal to clip in, sometimes this works and sometimes it does not. The pedal mech on a 545 is "canted" 30° to make clicking in easier.
    -They ONLY release sideways. If I pulled up hard enough on SPDs or at a few other angles, they would release. The CBs only release by twisting your foot outside. More float than I'd like too (more distance untill you actually clip out).
    -Brass cleats wear out MUCH faster than shimano SPDs.

They aren't bad pedals, but I don't think they hold a candle to the 545s. The eggbeater mechanism is a simple lightweight mechanism for minimalists. I also have a pair of the basic eggbeaters. They should have stayed this way though, because when you put a platform around them there are some way better clippless pedals with platforms, and the weight difference isn't nearly as much.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Tech support

CB tech support finally replied and said the mallets are available in both the cromoly and stainless. As far as the cromoly eggbeaters are concerned, I read a bunch of forums where people had a problem with them breaking with a good scrape on a rock. I've asked around at some local bike shops whether they would recommend eggbeaters or the SPD's and the general opinion seems to be the SPD's. Thanks for the feedback
    -Ben