mtbr member
    Apr 2007

cassettes and freewheels

so i have a road hub on my DH bike and when trying to put on a new mtn cassette today found that it doesnt fit. are the road freewheel hub bodies diff than mtn? any insight would be helpful

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

How is it that....

it doesn't fit? Often, not always, cassettes for road and mountain are compatable. Are we talking a freehub/cassette system or a freewheel system, they are not the same. Also what brands are we talking about. There are some compatablility issues between some brands. Compagnolo is notorious for being highly propietary. A little more info would help

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

All 26.5" all the time!
    Brands and models of the parts you're trying to interchange?

I mean, if you're using a "road" hub, you must also be using "road" spokes, rims and tires too. And the tires are filled with "road" air, right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    my mistake. i have a mtn hub, with a road cassette on it. i dont know if it is a road freewheel? but my mtn cassette will not fit. both are sram 970's

Former Bike Wrench

Same freehub width

Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    my mistake. i have a mtn hub, with a road cassette on it. i dont know if it is a road freewheel? but my mtn cassette will not fit. both are sram 970's
    I knew it wasn't a road hub because the axle spacing is narrower than a mountain hub.

When you say it doesn't fit...what is it that doesn't fit?

8 and 9 speed Shimano compatible freehub bodies are all the same width...road or mountain. So the cassettes are also the same width. Do you have all the splines lined up correctly? Does the mountain cassette seem to wide? Sometimes new cassettes will seem a little wide, you just need to get the lock ring on and "compress" them a bit.