Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cassette wobble

739 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  skywaybuzz 
#1 ·
I have had the my current mt. bike for about 3 years. All Shimano Deore/XT parts. Lots of hard riding and miles. At least 900miles. I just replaced my chain. At the end of my last ride, it would not stay on the larger cogs. Found a link ready to break off. Also replaced the BB., was loose, figure to replace it also. Have only replaced the chain 3 times the life of the bike. The chain still has problems on the the larger 2 cogs, thought maybe needs a small adjustment, but notice the cassette is loose/woobles a bit. Have not taken it apart yet. Is there anything to look for?

#3 ·
skywaybuzz said:
Sounds like the cassette lock nut ring is loose. You need the tool that fits in the outer lockring and a big crescent wrench.
Care to elaborate on that a bit? I have a cassette lockring tool so I know that the cassette is solid on the freehub but my freehub itself seems to have a fair amount of slop and my cassette has a slight wobble to it as well as my brake rotor on the other side - and they're in sync. With the bike on the stand, I can spin the rear wheel and then hold my fingers on the cassette and feel a wobble.

I just wonder what is bent. The axle? The hub body itself? Are there any user servicable parts in the typical freehub? If the hub bent, that's kinda disturbing since I ride XC and while I do ride the bike hard, I certainly do no jumping, tricks, or "downhill" type of riding and I only weigh 155 pounds.

#4 ·
All cassettes wobble

I guess it depends how much yours is wobbling as to how big a problem it is. Even with all my lockrings tightened to proper torque all my cassettes still have a bit of play in them. It is probably do to the tolecences in the machined surfaces not being good.

If you had a bent axle you would have more serious problems than a wobbling cassette and brake rotor. I would guess that your rotor is slightly warped and just happens to align with your cassette wobble.

#5 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. I did pull the cassette apart. The wobble is not so bad considering everyones input it seems to be typical. After cleaning and tighten down the lock ring to proper torque ita little better. The locking ring may have been a little loose.

#6 ·
Shayne said:
I guess it depends how much yours is wobbling as to how big a problem it is. Even with all my lockrings tightened to proper torque all my cassettes still have a bit of play in them. It is probably do to the tolecences in the machined surfaces not being good.

If you had a bent axle you would have more serious problems than a wobbling cassette and brake rotor. I would guess that your rotor is slightly warped and just happens to align with your cassette wobble.
I just went out in my garage to check on this thing. I have 8 rear mountainbike wheels with cassettes mounted, and none of them wobble or have any play whatsoever. :confused: What are you referring to?

John W.

#7 ·
axle

Namlak said:
Care to elaborate on that a bit? I have a cassette lockring tool so I know that the cassette is solid on the freehub but my freehub itself seems to have a fair amount of slop and my cassette has a slight wobble to it as well as my brake rotor on the other side - and they're in sync. With the bike on the stand, I can spin the rear wheel and then hold my fingers on the cassette and feel a wobble.

I just wonder what is bent. The axle? The hub body itself? Are there any user servicable parts in the typical freehub? If the hub bent, that's kinda disturbing since I ride XC and while I do ride the bike hard, I certainly do no jumping, tricks, or "downhill" type of riding and I only weigh 155 pounds.
Yours sounds like the axle is deffinetly bent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.